Posted by Bakedbreehttp://bakedbree.com/chocolate-almond-poundcake
© 2010 Baked Bree. All rights reserved.
Chocolate Almond Poundcake
For the cake
sticks unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1 inch cubes
teaspoon baking powder
cup (8 ounces) almond paste
extra large eggs, lightly beaten
ounces bittersweet chocolate melted
For the Streusel Topping
stick butter cut into half inch cubes and frozen
- Melt the chocolate over a double boiler and let cool. Make sure your oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Prepare a 6 cup loaf pan with butter.
- Cream the butter and baking powder on low for 2-3 minutes until softened. Add the sugar and cream until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Be sure to scrape the sides.
- Add the almond paste one Tablespoon at a time, mixing well between each addition.
- Add the eggs a little at a time mixing well in between additions. If the mixture begins to separate, add 1 Tablespoon of the measured flour. Add the flour in 3 batches mix on low until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan. Pour the melted chocolate over the surface and using a fork or a toothpick swirl the chocolate into the batter.
- In a food processor combine the flour and sugar. Add the butter and pulse until it is the consistency of coarse meal.
- Crumble the topping over the loaf pan and bake for 45 to 55 minutes. This cake keeps very well if wrapped well.