I remember coming home from college for a break and my mom telling me that we were having grilled pizza for dinner, I thought that she was nuts. Grilled pizza? Um, yeah, grilled pizza! She must have just been ahead of her time because grilled pizza is everywhere now. And for good reason. Something magical happens when pizza dough hits hot grates and leaves a little char on the crust of your pizza. I love the smoky flavor, and even better, I don’t have to crank my oven up to screamin’ hot in the middle of the summer.
When I went to Betty Crocker a few months ago, we were lucky enough to play with the new Pillsbury Artisan Pizza Crust before it hit store shelves. This new whole grain pizza crust is truly delicious and packs a nice little whole grain punch with 16 grams of whole grain per serving. I feel in love with bruschetta pizza at a local pizza place and I needed to create my own version. I am so glad that I did, because this pizza is a marriage of two of my favorite things. Bruschetta and pizza. This grilled pizza is a perfect way to celebrate the last of summer’s perfect tomatoes.
2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
1/3 cup plus 2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1 (8-ounce) package fresh mini mozzarella balls
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
1 Pillsbury Artisan Pizza Crust
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup plus 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) package fresh mini mozzarella balls
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 Pillsbury Artisan Pizza Crust
- Add tomatoes to a bowl and toss with olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Add mozzarella, stir to combine. Set aside.
- Preheat the grill to high heat. Brush grates with oil. Reduce grill heat to low. Brush both sides of the crust with 2 Tablespoons olive oil.
- Place crust on grates and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until you see grill marks.
- Turn crust over and top with reserved tomato and cheese mixture. Close lid, and continue to cook until crust is cooked through and cheese has melted, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and top with basil leaves.