This month Lazy Susan is tackling the idea of slow cooked. I stumbled upon this recipe in Southern Living Magazine, and even though it has quite a few parts, I knew that it would be worth making. I was right. If you just make the chicken component, you will have found a great recipe that has a million uses. But adding the pickled peppers and onions are what make this recipe for me. I love the crunch and texture that it adds to this sandwich. I made a simple, sweet vinaigrette and tossed with some shredded cabbage. I made the sweet potato cornbread, but you can always use a good bun, or even crunchy ciabatta bread that has been toasted.
I am feeling pretty crappy right now, I am fighting whatever I got on my trip, so I am going to cut this short. Rest, a cup of tea, and some Downton Abbey are calling my name.
Have you entered to win a 3 month subscription to e-meals? They are really amazing meal plans. I have been using them for the last few weeks, and am totally into how easy they are to use.
4 bone-in chicken breasts or 1 (3 to 3 1/2 pound whole chicken, cut up)
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup Coke
1/3 cup ketchup
1/4 cup light brown sugar
2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 Tablespoons whiskey
At this point, you can shred the chicken to make sandwiches. Take the chicken out of the slow cooker, throw away the lemons, and take the skin off of the chicken. Take the chicken off of the bone, and shred with two forks. You can freeze this in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
In my opinion, the best part of this sandwich is the pickled peppers and onions. They are really easy to make, and you can find the full recipe here.
Here is the recipe for the sweet potato cornbread.
And a very simple slaw. I left the mayo out of course.
Head on over to the lovely Shannon Harrison’s website to see what she has cooked up.
- 4 bone-in chicken breasts or 1 (3 to 3½ pound whole chicken, cut up)
- 1½ teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup Coke
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons whiskey
- 1 lemon
- Pickled Peppers and Onions
- Sweet Potato Cornbread
- Simple Slaw
- Mix together the paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper together. Sprinkle on both sides of chicken and place the chicken in a slow cooker.
- Mix together the Coke, ketchup, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, and whiskey.
- Pour the mixture around the chicken, being careful to not remove the spice mixture. Place lemon slices over the top of chicken.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 5 hours (or 6½ to 7½ hours on LOW).
- At this point, you can shred the chicken to make sandwiches. Take the chicken out of the slow cooker, throw away the lemons, and take the skin off of the chicken. Take the chicken off of the bone, and shred with two forks. You can freeze this in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- Optional: Make Pickled Peppers and Onions, Simple Slaw, and Sweet Potato Cornbread