The kids are on Spring Break and we spent last weekend in Connecticut. I really love New England. We had a great visit with friends, ate our fill of lobster bisque, and got to spend the rest of the week being cuddly at home. Perfect if you ask me.
1. I saw this sign in a random place, Mohegan Sun Casino, but I loved it so much that I had to stop and take a picture of it. Thanks Michael Jordan for the reminder.
2. My birthday was this week, I turned 37. The 30s are so awesome. I am being completely serious, I have loved my 30s. I did not in fact end up having any cake on my birthday, so I think that a cupcake from Baked & Wired is in order.
3. For my actual birthday, Wes and I took the kids to Oyamel. It is a Jose Andres restaurant and the food is amazing. But my favorite thing to get there are the margaritas. This one was cherry, orange, and vanilla, but it was not too sweet. Last time I was there, it was blackberry, thyme, and cucumber and it gave me a wee bit of a headache the next day. But it may have had something to do with that fact that I had 3. Whoops. Worth a trip if you are ever in DC.
4. Easter is this weekend and I was sent some Hide ‘em and Hatch ‘em Eggs to try. They are sitting in their water and the kids are very eager to see what is going to come out of them.
5. I was sent this book, Saved by Cake, and not only are the recipes great, and the photos incredible, but I can so identify with the authors struggle with depression. I have written about my struggle with post-partum and prenatal depression over at The Creative Mama, and believe me, it is no joke. My saving grace was my camera, but for Marian Keyes, she found relief baking in her kitchen. A great read.
6. Speaking of good reads, I just finished this book, 8 Girls Taking Pictures. I have to admit that it took me a bit to get into it, but once I did, I really enjoyed this book. It is 8 stories about women photographers and the struggle these women have to be artists, women, wives, and mothers simultaneously. There are some common themes, and some that I could really identify with. Worth reading for sure.
Favorite Instagram of the week. William has now entered the wide world of orthodonture. Braces and head gear, here we come!
Happy Easter! I hope that you have a wonderful holiday with friends and family.