I have a confession to make. I do not have a set of pots and pans. I have a handful of random saucepans and saute pans that I have picked up here and there. I never liked the options that a set had. I might want one piece of the set, but then know that I will not use some of the other pieces. I use both nonstick and stainless and did not like being committed to one or the other. I like to pick and choose the cookware that suits the needs that I have in the kitchen. Calphalon has answered my prayers by launching Your Set by Calphalon. Now you can choose between two different kinds of pans, Unison Nonstick or Accucore and then mix and match pieces to create your perfect set.
Calphalon asked me create a unique spin on a classic and I took the classic steak au poivre and turned it into a sandwich. Beef tenderloin was on sale at my grocery store so we got to indulge in something usually reserved for a special occasion on a weeknight. This sandwich was so delicious and was the perfect thing to break in my new pans.
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 onions, sliced
8 ounce package mushrooms, sliced
3-4 beef tenderloin pieces (you can use sirloin or ribeye too)
salt and pepper
1 shallot, minced
1/4 cup brandy
1 cup beef stock
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
4 ciabatta rolls
1 cup baby arugula
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 8 ounce package mushrooms, sliced
- 3-4 beef tenderloin pieces (you can use sirloin or ribeye too)
- salt and pepper
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 4 ciabatta rolls
- 1 cup baby arugula
- Heat olive oil in saute pan. Add onions and cook over medium low heat. Add mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Cook until soft and translucent, about 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Dry beef with paper towels. Season beef with salt and pepper. Heat saute pan over high heat. Add steaks to hot pan. Lower to medium high heat. Cook for 4 minutes without touching them. This will develop the crust that you are after. Turn over and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, depending on how you like your steak cooked. Transfer the steaks to a plate and cover with tin foil. Let rest while you make the sauce.
- Add a little more olive oil to the pan if needed. Add the shallots to a medium high pan. Cook until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add brandy and cook until it evaporates. Add the beef stock and boil until it reduces to about ⅓, about 4 minutes. Add the cream and boil until thick. Add parsley.
- Cut the ciabatta in half and add arugula and onion mixture to the roll. Slice the steak thinly and spoon au poivre sauce over. Top with roll and serve.
Your Set by Calphalon is the first cookware experience that allows you the ability to customize a cookware set for the way you cook and entertain. Whether you’re cooking for a crowd or mastering a new technique, now you can create a set piece by piece from the best of Calphalon. Mix it up. Make it yours. And now you have a chance to win a $500 Calphalon gift card to create your own set!
For more chances to win a $500 Gift Card, visit these other participating Calphalon bloggers:
Eclectic Recipes Thai- Basil Pork Stir Fry
Recipe Girl Cheddar Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Apple Bacon Pan Sauce
Aggie’s Kitchen Spicy Fish Wraps
Good Life Eats Sauteed Garlic- Bacon Green Beans
Family Fresh Cooking Pumpkin Mac n’ Cheese
Picky Palate Chicken Ragout
This blog post is part of a paid SocialMoms and Calphalon blogging program. The opinions and ideas expressed here are my own