Last weekend, we were lucky enough to be invited to a brunch. The thing about being an okay cook is that people rarely never invite us over. We have people over all the time. I love cooking and entertaining other people. At this point in my game, I have gotten pretty good at it. I will definitely share my tips for throwing a good party in a later post. But imagine my delight when someone invited me and my family over for a meal! I was giddy for days leading up to it. Really Bree? Get a grip. But I was. Giddy. But me being me, I had to make a few things to bring to say thank you. I had a pint of gorgeous strawberries that I needed to use. Hmmm… strawberries and ? Champagne! Truth be told, this concoction would taste good on just about anything. Pancakes, toast, muffins, ice cream, or swirled into your oatmeal or yogurt.
2 pints strawberries
1/4 cup sugar (to taste)
juice of 2 lemons
To make the cocktail:
one bottle of champagne
lemon for garnish (optional)
I used about 2-3 big spoon fulls of puree and mixed it around. A squeeze of extra lemon and you have a delightful, brunch (or anytime) cocktail.
When someone is nice enough to share a meal with you, you should never go empty handed. This is a perfect little hostess gift to say thank you for having a perfect afternoon with good friends and amazing food.
To make the strawberry puree
- 2 pints strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar (to taste)
- juice of 2 lemons
To make the cocktail
- one bottle of champagne
- lemon for garnish (optional)
- Slice the berries and put them in the blender. Squeeze the lemon juice in and add the sugar.
- Puree until smooth.
- Put through a sieve to get the seeds out. I like a smooth puree. If you like seeds, by all means, skip this step.
- Put the puree in a cute jar. Or Tupperware. Whatever works.
- If I had to guess, I would say that this is enough puree for 2 bottles of champagne. Perhaps I don’t have to guess. It was a really fun brunch, what can I say?
- I used about 2-3 big spoon fulls of puree and mixed it around. A squeeze of extra lemon and you have a delightful, brunch (or anytime) cocktail.