Does anything say summer more than strawberry ice cream? Here in California, the strawberry season is in full swing and these little red gems were screaming to be made into an ice cream. I love my ice cream maker so much that I will not buy ice cream in the grocery store anymore. It is just so easy to make at home and tastes so amazing. Plus my children think that it is pure magic that you pour some liquid into a little machine and ice cream comes out. Who am I to disappoint them?
This ice cream takes a bit longer to make than most of the other flavors that I have made. It is completely worth the wait.
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- 4 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- In a bowl, add ½ cup sugar to the strawberries. Add the lemon juice.
- Give this strawberry a good sir and let it sit for 2 hours at room temperature.
- After two hours, the strawberries will have let go of their juice and created a yummy syrup.
- I like a smooth strawberry ice cream, so I pureed all of my strawberries. But you could only puree half if you want to and add the whole berries to have a chunkier ice cream.
- Add the remaining sugar.
- Add the milk.
- And the cream.
- And finally, the vanilla.
- Stir until the mixture is combined. Chill the ice cream for 2 hours or overnight.
- Freeze according to your machine’s directions.
- Transfer to another container and freeze until firm. About two hours.