I lost my hard drive on my iMac this weekend and I am going to take this time to give a little Public Service Announcement. Backup. Backup. Backup. Thankfully, I learned my lesson the last time that I lost my hard drive (I have that kind of luck) and I did not lose anything (other than time) because I was so meticulous about making sure that I had archived and backup-ed. I would have been devastated to have lost any of my pictures. It is amazing how much stuff we collect on our computers and how little we print out these days. I rarely ever have pictures printed any more. I wonder if when my children are older and wanting pictures from their lives if I will just hand them an external hard drive instead of an album? My how times have changed.
These muffins are a perfect Monday morning muffin after you have had a few too many (be it beers, carbs, whatever your indulgence) to start the week off right. These muffins are heartier than your average muffin because of the whole wheat flour and olive oil. If you do not have any buttermilk, just add a teaspoon of vinegar or lemon juice to some milk and let it sit for a minute or two. Instant buttermilk.
1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
1/3 cup plus 1 Tablespoon sugar
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup canola or olive oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1/3 cup plus 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola or olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Toss the strawberries with ⅓ cup sugar.
- Mash them with a potato masher and set aside.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Mix the buttermilk, egg, and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients and strawberries to the dry ingredients.
- Fold the ingredients until just combined. Sprinkle coarse sugar (or the remaining 1 Tablespoon sugar) on top of the muffins. Put the muffins in a preheated 400 degree oven for about 17 minutes.