Here we are, week 12. Which means that Christmas is just around the corner. Are you ready? Me, not quite yet, but I am getting there. I have been listening to the Indie Holiday station on Pandora and humming Christmas tunes for the last few days. And making cookies. Lots and lots of cookies.
These cookies would be perfect to leave out for Santa on Christmas Eve. They have everything that the man in red could want in a cookie. Crispy outside, soft inside, and lots of sparkle from a generous roll in coarse sugar. And if I drank milk, I believe that these would be worthy of a dunk.
And if this little piece of candy cane striped heaven doesn’t get you in the holiday spirit, I just don’t know what will. He might not admit that I am his mother one day for sharing this picture, but I love it so much that I couldn’t help myself.
4 cups Gold Medal all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
4 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 cups Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 teaspoons vanilla
- coarse sugar (optional)
- Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- Beat butter in the bowl of an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Slowly pour in oil while the mixer is running. Add sugar, powdered sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Slowly add the flour mixture, mix until flour disappears. Chill for one hour, or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop with a 1 Tablespoon ice cream and roll into balls. Roll balls in coarse sugar and place on baking sheet 3 inches apart. Flatten slightly. Bake for 15 minutes or until the edges begin to brown. Cool for 5 minutes on baking sheets and cool completely on wire racks.