Even though I have not done much cooking this summer, I do really miss it. I love everything about cooking. Grocery shopping, chopping, mixing, the whole deal. Tonight, I felt like cooking, and I am so glad that I did. My husband has been in DC during the week this summer and coming home on Friday afternoons. We don’t talk much Monday through Thursday so it is nice to reconnect over a meal. A home cooked meal is even nicer since neither of us has been eating as well or as healthy as we normally do. I was sent Southern Living What’s for Supper: 30-Minute Meals Everyone Will Love, and I kept coming back to this recipe for Watermelon, Greens, and Pecan Salad. It looked so refreshing, and I loved the idea of a pepper jelly dressing. It was really hot today, and this was the perfect summer dinner. Light and fresh. And most of all low effort. Winner all around.
The funny thing about this book is that I already have a few of the recipes in heavy rotation on my dinner table. My Honey Garlic Balsamic Chicken, which I make at least a few times a month. And the cover recipe, Corn, Pesto, and Tomato Pizza, is also a summer time favorite. Grab a copy, a be inspired to change up your weeknight dinner routine.
5 cups cubed and seeded watermelon
1 (6-ounce) package mixed greens (I used Romaine)
grilled chicken breast (or rotisserie)
1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
3/4 cup toasted pecans
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup pepper jelly
1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 Tablespoon grated onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 5 cups cubed and seeded watermelon
- 1 (6-ounce) package mixed greens (I used Romaine)
- grilled chicken breast (or rotisserie)
- ½ cup blue cheese crumbles
- ¾ cup toasted pecans
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup pepper jelly
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon grated onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- In a small bowl, combine rice wine vinegar, pepper jelly, lime juice, onion, salt and pepper. Whisk until the jelly begins to dissolve. Slowly add the oil, whisking until it all combines. Set aside.
- I tossed some chicken breast with lime zest, lime juice, a little honey, 2 cloves of garlic, salt and pepper, and a little olive oil. Wes grilled it while I put the salad together.
- Toss the watermelon, greens, blue cheese, and pecans. Drizzle dressing over, or toss. Slice chicken and serve on top.