This year, we are celebrating summer with the Happy Family Movement by creating a Summer Bucket List. This is the perfect summer for the kids and I to travel and see as many sites as we can. We leave Kansas in a little over two weeks, but cannot move into our new house until August. Can you say military family adventure? We are going to be spending time at my mom’s house at the beach, and breaking up the time by visiting friends and anything else that we are interested in. My husband will be going back and forth from DC to NJ on weekends, or we will meet him somewhere. We are so excited and cannot wait for the adventure that this summer promises.
Our list is probably more traveling and visiting things than we would normally pick any other summer. If we were staying home, we would definitely see the local sites, but it would include more crafts and simpler things. This summer we are taking advantage of not being able to move into our house. If you are looking for some other ideas, my friend Kristen has a great list, and this one is also full of fun ideas.
A few nights ago, we sat outside with the first homemade popsicles of the season and got to work on creating our list. We pulled out a road atlas and picked out the cities that we would pass through on our drive and places that we were interested in stopping. We each got to add to the list and each idea was on the table. It could be vetoed, but every idea was considered. Even creating the list is a fun family activity.
Want to join us? Create a list and submit it to the Happy Family Movement and will you not only have the best summer ever, but you will be entered to win one of the amazing giveaways being hosted by other participating bloggers, one by yours truly.
Take a road trip
Visit Gateway Arch
3. City Musuem
4. Visit Cupcake War bakeries
5. Swimming lessons
Go to the beach
7. Eat boardwalk treats
8. Ride bikes on the boardwalk
9. 4th of July fireworks
10. Have dinner beach picnic
11. Make popsicles
12. Go to a lifeguard race
13. Visit Miss Kathy and the girls
14. Natural History Museum to see the dinosaurs
15. Make new beach friends
16. Sesame Place
17. Eat crabs in Annapolis
18. Go fishing
19. Make ice cream
20. Go to Cape May
21. Philadelphia Zoo
22. Visit Daddy in DC
23. Take family beach picture
25. BBQ for friends
26. Make treats and pass them out
27. Indianapolis Motor Speedway
28. Cincinnati Sky Line Chili
29. Hershey Factory Tour
30. Valley Forge
31. Liberty Bell
32. Have a date night with each kiddo
34. Read 10 books
35. Play mini golf
36. Summer Solstice Party – June 20th at 7:09pm
37. Eat a Philly cheesesteak in Philly
38. Go on the big ferris wheel at Wonderland
39. Phillies game
40. White House Tour
41. Old Town Alexandria
42. Pick out one new thing for new room
43. Family picture in front of LOVE statue
44. Betsy Ross House
45. Catch fireflies
46. Anheuser Busch tour
47. Take Route 9 to Cape May
48. Lucy the Elephant
49. Crayola Factory
50. Take golf lesson
Blackberry and Lime Popsicles from Sweet Cream and Sugar Cones
1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons simple syrup (1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water boiled and cooled)
1 cup fresh lime juice, strained
1 cup water
pinch kosher salt
1/2 pint blackberries
Combine the simple syrup, lime juice, water, and salt.
Drop 4 blackberries into popsicle molds. Pour the lime mixture to the top.
Freeze for at least 4 hours.
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons simple syrup (1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water boiled and cooled)
- 1 cup fresh lime juice, strained
- 1 cup water
- pinch kosher salt
- 1/2 pint blackberries
- Combine the simple syrup, lime juice, water, and salt.
- Drop 4 blackberries into popsicle molds. Pour the lime mixture to the top.
- Freeze for at least 4 hours.