- For the first part:
- 1/2 cup lemon rinds
- 4 cups vodka
- a clean container with a lid (I got mine at Ikea)
- For the simple syrup:
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- Peel the lemons with a vegetable peeler making sure to not get the pith.
- Put the lemon strips in the bottom of a container. Pour the vodka over the lemons.
- Let this sit for at least 2 weeks. Give it a swirl every now and again.
- When you are ready to continue, make the simple syrup. Put 1 1/2 cups sugar and 3 cups water in a saucepan and bring to a boil so the sugar can dissolve. Let this cool. (I used vanilla sugar, that is why you see pieces floating in it)
- Strain the lemon peel out and throw the peel away. Pour the vodka mixture back into the container. Add the cooled simple syrup. That is it!
- The Italians like to drink this over ice after dinner but I love to add it to whipped cream for summer fruit or use it in a cheesecake. There are so many things that you can do with it. It also makes a great hostess gift for summer barbecues. Make a batch and share with some friends.