If you are trying to squeeze the last bits out of summer, make a peach pie. What says summer more than a peach pie? I saw this peach almond galette in the July issue of Country Living and immediately made it. The original recipe only uses peaches, but I didn’t have enough to fill the pie, so I added blueberries. What makes this galette special is that there is a layer of almond paste on the bottom. I love almond anything, so I knew that it would be interesting. I also like that it is supposed to be messy looking. This is a very rustic looking dessert. In my book, it looks homemade. Homemade looking things just taste better.
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
10 Tablespoons very cold butter
3 to 5 Tablespoons ice water
1/2 cup whole raw almonds
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon almond extract
8 large peaches, peeled and sliced (I used 4 peaches and 2 pints blueberries)
2 Tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
coarse sanding sugar for sprinkling
Bring the draped pie crust up over the fruit. Press to seal. Sprinkle with coarse sanding sugar.
Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 45 to 50 minutes. The filling will be bubbly and the crust golden brown. Serve with some vanilla ice cream.Print
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 Tablespoons very cold butter
- 3 to 5 Tablespoons ice water
- 1/2 cup whole raw almonds
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 8 large peaches, peeled and sliced (I used 4 peaches and 2 pints blueberries)
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- coarse sanding sugar for sprinkling
- In a food processor, pulse together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, and salt. Add the butter and pulse until it resembles a coarse meal. Add ice cold water a Tablespoon at a time. Stop when the dough starts to form. Turn the dough out onto a floured board and form into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grind the almonds and confectioners sugar into a fine meal. Add the egg yolk and almond extract. Set aside.
- Toss the peaches, blueberries, honey, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Roll the dough out into a 14-inch circle. Drape over a 10-inch pie plate.
- Press the almond paste into the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate.
- Add the fruit.
- Bring the draped pie crust up over the fruit. Press to seal. Sprinkle with coarse sanding sugar.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 45 to 50 minutes. The filling will be bubbly and the crust golden brown. Serve with some vanilla ice cream.