We’ve had a lot of snow around these parts. (And expecting some more this weekend.) And that means lots of days off of school. We had a full week off and then a day here and there for another couple of weeks. The first few days we were fine to be lazy and watch movies and relax. But after day 3, we were going crazy with boredom.
What’s a mom to do to keep us busy when you can’t go outside? Find as many snow day activities that you can.
Here are a few that have been keeping us happy and occupied:
1. Baking. The kids and I have spent a lot of time baking. Cookies, muffins, and breads. They are learning how to measure, mix, and most importantly – clean as they go. We’re going to try these next, the kids will LOVE them.
2. Raddish Kids. Raddish is a subscription service that comes once a month and is geared to get kids in the kitchen. My kids LOVE these. The Italian kit has been my favorite so far. Great recipes, teaches the kids valuable kitchen skills, and table talk cards that encourage conversation around the dinner table.
Raddish Kids is generously offering Baked Bree readers a discount code if you want to give it a try.
Use code BREE25 to enjoy 25% off a 3, 6, or 12 month subscription to Raddish.
3. Tissue Paper Stained Glass – We made these for Valentine’s Day and again later. It takes awhile, is really fun, and makes for some really pretty window decorations.
4. Clean out the closets and drawers. It might not sound like a lot of fun, but it actually was. We took everything out, sorted what fit and what didn’t, and put everything back neatly. Getting dressed when they went back to school was a whole lot easier. Or clean out the toys, playroom, or craft area.
5. Homemade Gak – Enough said. Kids love this stuff and it is so easy to make that the kids can do it themselves. Tip – go to the dollar store and buy a couple of cheap plastic tablecloths and lay them on the table when you are making it and playing with it.
6. Colored Ice Ornaments – Everything you need to make these you already have at home. It’s already freezing outside, so it might as well look colorful too.
7. Ice Lanterns – these are so gorgeous and also very easy. We spend a lot of time looking outside and this craft makes it even more magical.
Even though we have had a great time at home, I was really happy to see this come last week.