A spiced apple cider that is warm and cozy on its own, but can be made into a cocktail with the addition of oak vodka, bourbon, or champagne,
- 1-quart apple cider
- 3 sticks cinnamon
- 1 inch peeled ginger, cut into rounds
- 5 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- peel from one orange
- peel from one lemon
- juice from one lemon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Absolut Oak, bourbon, or champagne
- Pour apple cider into a medium pot. Break cinnamon sticks in half and add to pot. Add ginger, cloves, nutmeg, orange peel, lemon peel, juice, and brown sugar.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Ladle into mugs and 2 ounces of oak vodka or bourbon if desired. Garnish with cinnamon sticks and lemon or orange slices.
- (If using champagne, serve the cider cold before adding champagne.)
This can also be made in the slow cooker. Add all ingredients and cook on low for 4 hours.
Adapted from Alex Guarnaschelli.