Well, it is about that time. We are soaking up the last bits of summer and are getting ready to send the kids back to school in a little over a week. I am having bittersweet emotions about the whole thing. We had one of the best summers imaginable. We moved to the Cape and so far, it is absolutely blissful. We have spent so much time outside, playing at the beach, exploring, and making this our new home. It really has been a perfect summer.
I know that it has been quiet here this summer, but I am gearing up to start posting regularly again. I have really missed being here and sharing all of the wonderful things that I have made this summer. The break was really good for me and just what I needed to get my creative juices flowing again.
Even though I have been quiet, I have been really busy behind the scenes. I handed my e-book over to the editor this week (do you know how hard it is to find a fresh turkey in August?) and I am beyond thrilled with how it turned out. I can’t wait for you all to see it. I also have been working on my online program called Lighten Up. I will tell you more about it in the next week or so, but I am really proud of it, and hope that you will join me.
1. Applesauce is really popular at my house. I make it about once a week in the fall and winter. I change it up, but this Slow Cooker Spiced Applesauce that I created for Dixie Crystals might just be my favorite. It has just enough spice and lots of citrus. It tastes just like my favorite apple crisp recipe (that will be in the e-book) but without the crisp part.
2. I took William to middle school orientation yesterday. I got a little sweaty even writing that sentence, but it is true. This article has been floating around and makes me happy that I am not the only one that loves this age. I used to teach middle school and forgot how much I enjoy watching kids come into their own. 10 is proving to be so much fun.
3. I took an aerial yoga class and after being scared for about 3 minutes, it was the most fun thing that I have done in a long time. It was much easier to get the hang of than I thought it would be and it was crazy to be able to hang from the ceiling. And the meditation part? The best ever. If you have a class in your area, you have to try it.
4. Along with trying new ways to move my body, I did a 21 day re-boot with Sherrie of With Food + Love. I have never felt better. If I can do it, anyone can. I never felt deprived or judged, just supported and energized. Fall is a great time to do this, and she has a new group starting September 8th. (I am not an affiliate or anything, I just really believe that this program is amazing and Sherrie is a delight to work with.) I have been off of Diet Coke for almost 3 weeks and it is because of this that I was able to do it.
5. If I had to name this summer, I’d call it the summer of the s’more. We have had a lot of friends visit or come for dinner and I have made marshmallows every week. Once you start eating homemade marshmallows, there is no going back. I have been collecting fancy chocolate and even made a cute basket (don’t forget the baby wipes!) to bring out to the fire pit. It has been so much fun and the kids are getting really good at making a perfectly toasted marshmallow.
6. I love this video.
7. You know that I love a good cookbook. (My husband might call it a problem. Whatever). I am looking forward to many on this list, but especially the one from Pat LaFrieda. If you have ever eaten a steak or a burger in NYC, there is more than a good chance that it came from LaFrieda Meats. Cooking beef is something that I struggle with, so I can’t wait to get my hands on this book. No more tough steaks for this girl! (Hopefully.)
8. I have taken a lot of courses on being a better person/business woman/creative/photographer/you name it… I was part of the founding class of A Course About Copy and it was by far the best investment that I have ever made in my business. I liked writing, but now I love writing. I never felt that I was saying what I needed to say in my own voice. I am a firm believer that I need to do every bit of writing on my own. I know that I could outsource some of the writing that I need done, but it has never felt right to do that. If you own a business, I cannot recommend this course enough. Again, not an affiliate, I just love Nikki and what she’s got goin’ on.
That’s it for tonight. I hope that you have an amazing weekend!