Toasting the oats before you cook them gives them an even nuttier flavor. This makes enough to feed 6 people. Perfect for feeding a busy family.
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 cups McCann’s Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal®
- 6 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups milk or your favorite non-dairy milk (I like almond)
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla bean paste or extract
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oats and coat with butter. Toss in the pan until lightly toasted, about 5 minutes.
- While the oats are toasting, bring the water, milk, sugar, and salt to a simmer over medium heat in a large Dutch oven or saucepan
- Add the oats and bring to a gentle boil, then reduce the heat to low, partially covering the pot.
- Cook until thickened, about 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The oats will still be a little loose, but will thicken as they stand.
- Stir in the vanilla. Serve
Adapted from Whole Grain Mornings by Megan Gordon.