I am just fine, and I am standing by my vegan-made-from-tofu-ice-cream.
I had this ice cream when I was in Monterey at a gorgeous party that Dole had for us. They served the ice cream with a delicious brown sugared fruit made with Dole berries, pineapple, and other perfectly ripe fruit in adorable little martini glasses. When the server asked me if I would like one, all I saw was the coconut and gorgeous fruit, and I immediately said yes. I took a bite, and was in heaven. It wasn’t until I heard her talking to another guest that I heard her say that it was made from tofu and that it was vegan. I have to be honest, if I knew, I probably would not have tried it, as I am not a huge tofu fan. But I may be over my fear of tofu. All you can taste is coconut, and the texture is smooth and creamy. As soon as I got home, I made this coconut ice cream again. And guess what? No one in my family was the wiser. I won’t tell, if you won’t tell.
1 (16-ounce) package silken tofu, drained
2 1/2 cups coconut milk
1 1/4 cups sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 Tablespoon coconut extract
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
3 cups fruit (I used mango, pineapple, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries)
1/4 cup brown sugar
zest and juice of one lime
- 1 (16-ounce) package silken tofu, drained
- 2 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon coconut extract
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
- 3 cups fruit (I used mango, pineapple, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- zest and juice of one lime
- In a blender or food processor, combine the tofu, coconut milk, sugar, salt, vanilla, and coconut extract. Process until smooth.
- Add in the toasted coconut and give it another whirl, just until it is combined.
- Pour the ice cream into a container and sprinkle with more toasted coconut if you want. Freeze until completely firm.
- Cut the fruit into bite sized pieces. Add the brown sugar.
- Add lime juice and lime zest. Toss to combine and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Stir it again before you are going to serve it.
- Spoon the brown sugar fruit into the bottom of a glass. Add a scoop of toasted coconut ice cream. I like to sprinkle a little more coconut on top.