Honey Lime Enchiladas were floating around Pinterest for awhile and I was obsessed with the idea. I love the honey/lime combination and it also falls into my favorite flavor category – the sweet and savory. In this case, slightly sweet and very savory. I love this meal, and have made it many, many, times. It freezes well and is a nice change from the traditional red enchilada.
I started the chicken filling in the slow cooker because I love the way the chicken falls apart and it is so easy to put together and let it cook during the day. When it is done, I finish the filling, roll into tortillas, cover it with cheese and bake it off. A little sour cream and a sprinkling of chopped cilantro and green onion for crunch. These are great leftover too.
*This post is part of a collaboration with Old El Paso. All opinions are 100% my own. *
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cans (10 oz) Old El Paso green enchilada sauce
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso chopped green chiles
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 package Old El Paso tortillas, burrito size
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- Add chicken breasts, one can enchilada sauce, chili powder, garlic powder, oregano and salt to the insert of a slow cooker. Cook on LOW for 3 to 5 hours, or until cooked through.
- Preheat oven to 350 °. Remove chicken breast from slow cooker, leaving sauce in insert. Put chicken in a large bowl, shred with fork. Add honey and lime juice to reserved sauce, stir to combine. Pour over chicken. Add 1 cup cheese, sour cream, cilantro and green onions. Mix to combine.
- On microwavable plate, stack tortillas and cover with paper towel; heat on High 1 minute to soften. Place ½ cup chicken mixture along middle of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam sides down in baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Cover with the remaining can enchilada sauce and top with reserved cheese. Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Garnish with additional sour cream, green onion, and cilantro if desired.