web analytics

milk chocolate peanut butter cake recipe

Birthdays are sort of a big deal at our house.  I think that every new year should be celebrated and that everyone should have a birthday cake.  My husband, Wes, is not really a birthday cake kind of guy.  He loves peanut butter pie.  That is usually what I make him, but this year, I took peanut butter pie to a whole new level.

When you have a few basic recipes under your belt, you can take those tried and true recipes, and make them into other things.  That is exactly what I did here.  I used Beatty’s chocolate cake, chocolate butter cream, and peanut butter pie and made them into something new and different.

I made Beatty’s chocolate cake exactly as written.  I used melted milk chocolate in place of cocoa in the chocolate buttercream and made it into milk chocolate buttercream.  I made a half recipe of the filling for my peanut butter pie and put it in between the layers of the cake.  A generous sprinkling of sea salt and this is one of the best cakes I have ever made in my entire life.  And the most fattening.  It is a birthday, who cares?

edited to add – I have gotten a lot of question about the bread on the cake.  I am going to share with you one of the coolest tips I have.  My mom taught me this years ago, and most people who come to my house and see it, do not believe that it works, but it does.  I baked these cake layers the night before I was putting my cake together.  I left them out on the counter with a slice of bread on top so that the cake layers would not become stale.  The bread becomes hard as a rock, but the cake layers remain moist and as perfect as when I made them.  I use this same trick with muffins, cupcakes, anything that I want to leave on the counter.  Try it, it really does work.

peanut butter cake with milk chocolate buttercream recipeBake your chocolate cake layers and let cool.  If you want to use a boxed chocolate cake mix, I will not tell.  Promise.

peanut butter cake with milk chocolate buttercream recipeDo as I say, not as I do.  My cake had borderline stability issues.  I should have either cut the cake layers in half and did the peanut butter filling twice or inserted dowels into the cake to keep upright.  Chill the cake for a few hours to make sure everything is nice and firm.

peanut butter cake with milk chocolate buttercream recipeMake the buttercream replacing the cocoa with cooled melted milk chocolate.

peanut butter cake with milk chocolate buttercream recipe I want to stick my face in this bowl right about now.

peanut butter cake with milk chocolate buttercream recipeIce the cake with the milk chocolate buttercream.  See how I am leaning? Part of it is camera angle, but part of it is a lopsided cake.

peanut butter cake with milk chocolate buttercream recipeYou can make the edges fancy by piping the extra frosting on the edges.

peanut butter cake with milk chocolate buttercream recipeSprinkle the top with sea salt.  It absolutely brings out all of the flavors and it does not make it salty, but more chocolatey and peanut buttery.  It makes it even more delicious.  As if milk chocolate and peanut really need to taste better.

peanut butter cake with milk chocolate buttercream recipeI might also mention that this makes for a pretty perfect after-birthday breakfast.

Wes’s Birthday Cake

Ingredients

• chocolate cake
  • peanut butter filling
  • milk chocolate buttercream

Instructions

1. I used Beatty’s chocolate cake, chocolate butter cream, and peanut butter pie and made them into something new and different.
  2. I made Beatty’s chocolate cake exactly as written. I used melted milk chocolate in place of cocoa in the chocolate buttercream and made it into milk chocolate buttercream. I made a half recipe of the filling for my peanut butter pie and put it in between the layers of the cake. A generous sprinkling of sea salt and this is one of the best cakes I have ever made in my entire life.
  3. Bake your chocolate cake layers and let cool. If you want to use a boxed chocolate cake mix, I will not tell. Promise.
  4. I should have either cut the cake layers in half and did the peanut butter filling twice or inserted dowels into the cake to keep upright. Chill the cake for a few hours to make sure everything is nice and firm.
  5. Make the buttercream replacing the cocoa with cooled melted milk chocolate.
  6. Ice the cake with the milk chocolate buttercream.
  7. You can make the edges fancy by piping the extra frosting on the edges.
  8. Sprinkle the top with sea salt. It absolutely brings out all of the flavors and it does not make it salty, but more chocolatey and peanut buttery. .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

105 Responses to Wes’s Birthday Cake

1. Amanda says:

Great job… it is beautiful!

2. Peanut butter pie combined with chocolate cake? And sea salt?! This might be the greatest thing we’ve ever seen. Lucky lucky Wes…!

3. Cindi says:

This may be a really stupid question, but why are there pieces of bread on top of your cooling cakes? This looks absolutely to die for – it may have to be my birthday cake!

4. Amy says:

I too was wondering about the bread on top of your layers? Is it to collect condensation? The cake looks amazingly delicious, and frosting sounds devine!! Recently discovered your blog and I’m in love!! Happy Baking… ~Amy, The Sugar Fairy (www.thesugarfairy.com)

5. This looks DIVINE!! I can’t wait to try it.

6. Lori says:

I’m wondering about the bread, too!

I love your site and I check it every day even though I hardly ever post a comment!

7. Kelly says:

This looks delish!
    I too have to ask about the bread on top of the cakes. Is this some bakers secret I am not privvy to??

8. Cara says:

This looks so good! My husband’s birthday is in December and I am going to have to make this for him!

9. Abby says:

Thanks SO much for sharing the tip about the bread!!! I never ever would have thought to do that. I will definitely try that out!!!!!!!

10. JehanP says:

LOL, I can relate when it comes to the leaning cake but it’s beautiful nonetheless. I love the peanut butter and chocolate combo, its a perfect match!

11. Jenny says:

Beautiful cake – and great tip – about the bread!

12. Nida says:

This looks amazing! Similar in concept to Sky High’s Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter/Cream Cheese Frosting and Chocolate/Peanut Butter Glaze (or some similar longish name), but amazing.

13. Tiffany says:

Looks delicious! Oh and so excited about the bread secret! Now my kitchen won’t be such a mess when everyone comes over!

14. Ryan says:

You can do the bread trick with cookies also. We put it in the bag with the sugar cookies we make, and change out the bread every so often. Keeps them fresh!

15. jennifer says:

My mom always put a slice of bread into the brown sugar and the same thing happens–the brown sugar stays soft and separated and the bread turns hard. Good idea to use it on baked goods :)

16. Ina says:

Loved your bread explanation. We do something similar when we store cookies in an airtight container, we put a piece of bread in with them so the cookies stay soft. Never thought of putting the bread on cake, but it probably works just as well! The cake looks soooo delish!

17. Such a beautiful cake! I love it leaning like that anyway!! A great tip too, I will keep that in mind when I bake my cakes

18. Mary says:

Now that is what I call a beautiful, delicious, glorious cake! Divine!

19. Holy Crap Bree, this cake is going to kill me! I love pb and chocolate and desserts with sea salt. My Aunt one a mixer last week and then gave it to me. This cake is my future and destiny.

20. Mary says:

I am drooling….chocolate and peanut butter…Love the bread idea. Interesting because I was wondering about this recently when I made muffin tops. I always let them sit out to cool completely then for storage I put them in a zip loc back but it always ruins them as the nice firm tops get moist and slimy. Is this how you store your muffins as well? If not, how do you store them to keep them so fresh without the moisture? About your salted carmels…how long do they generally keep? a few weeks? If I make them now, still fresh for Thanksgiving give-aways? And the cake…Is the middle that thick?! Yum! Is that why it’s leaning?

• bakedbree says:

Yes, that is how I store my muffins. Anything baked gets bread on top. The middle should not be that thick. Lesson learned. I discuss it in the body of the post.

21. Shelley says:

Beautiful cake! I’ve had this recipe tucked away for some time now and your beautiful results have inspired me to try it. Thanks for the tip on the bread tric, as well!

22. I always put bread in my cookie tins. It keeps the cookies fresh and moist for several weeks. I switch out the bread when it gets stale. Never thought to use it on cake layers though…great idea.

23. corey says:

I was just dreaming about this cake so I came over to find it on your blog so I could at least see it. Man, this was an incredible cake.

24. Ashley says:

Hi! New to your blog. I just had to comment about the bread thing you do – you’re the only other person I’ve seen do this trick, besides my mom. She doesn’t do it for leaving things out over night, but she puts a slice of bread in between layers of cookies (chocolate chip or sugar cookies) in an airtight container – they stay moist for days!

25. […] Cakes: For Debi’s Birthday last week, I made this cake. Then Lisa proclaimed me “The one who makes the cakes!” I always wanted to be the one […]

26. Katie says:

I always put my a slice of bread in with my brown sugar to keep it soft, but that’s a great idea to try with cakes and muffins as well!

27. Georgia says:

The cake and bread? Do you wrap your cake and slice of bread in anything or just leave it sitting overnight just like the picture with the bread on top?

28. Mrs Ergül says:

The cake looks fab! Love the frosting you piped on it. What tip did you use? I love how big the shells are.

My bigger problem with leaving anything out in the open is ants….. Is the bread usable after this trick? It bites at me if it has to go into the trash bin thereafter.

29. […] lemon juice to make a nice lemon frosting.  You can also add about 1/2 cup of cocoa to make this a chocolate buttercream.  See, infinite […]

30. Jami says:

Love this site! The step-by-step instructions with pics awesome!

31. anh says:

Will the slice of bread work to keep baked goods moist if gluten-free?

32. […] Wes’s Birthday Cake [Baked Bree] foodclever usesbaking  Discuss  Share  Tweet  Email  More get_count_post('http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2012/01/keep-cakes-moist-overnight-with-a-slice-of-bread/','post-414001'); « Previous post […]

33. Elaine says:

How do you use the bread trick for cupcakes?

34. […] let them sit overnight, unfrosted, using another trick that I found on Baked Bree, which is a great cooking blog with lots of pin worthy stuff.  Did you know that if you set a […]

35. […] let them sit overnight, unfrosted, using another trick that I found.  This trick was from Baked Bree, which is a great cooking blog with lots of pin worthy stuff.  Did you know that if you set a […]

36. […] mantendrá húmedo, listo para el hielo. No tenemos idea de cómo funciona, pero a partir de Bree Bree Hornee , jura por él! (Sugerencia:. Echa un vistazo a su mantequilla de maní pastel de chocolate […]

37. kim rizk says:

How much melted milk chocolate do you add to the buttercream recipe??
    Looks delicious and want to make!

thanks
    Kim

38. kim rizk says:

I think the recipe says 1/2 cup cocoa if I am reading correctly? Should it be 3/4 cup or 1/2 cup?

• bakedbree says:

It can be whatever you want it to be. Add as much chocolate until you get the amount of chocolate that you want.

39. laura says:

The bread thing is funny. I thought I was the only one that did that, it was my little secret, and I learned it worked by accident. I only had a few pieces of bread left when I burnt a hole in the bag, with the hot pan I just pulled out of the oven. I thought putting the bread in the container with the cookies would keep it fresh. the next morning my bread was hard as a rock but the cookies were the moistest I had ever made. my question is why does this work what is the science behind it? anyone know? I’ve been looking it up for awhile and found no explanation yet.

• bakedbree says:

I have no idea why it works, I just know that my mom did it, so I do it too. I just did an interview on NPR about this very subject.

40. Erin says:

I know this is over a year and a half old but I can’t thank you enough! I’m not a super skilled baker by any means but I can follow a recipe and LOVE baking things as gifts for people. My mom’s birthday is coming up and the only thing she adores more than peanut butter is peanut butter and chocolate together!

41. Gena says:

I have to say, I am not one for blogs but everything I come across I want to make! I mentioned your blog to one of my coworkers and her response, “I love her!” So apparently I’m the last to know! Either way, thanks for making everything so simple and also writing captions that are enjoyable to read! :)

42. […] Cake Cooling Tip: All you have to do is lay a piece of bread on top of a cooling cake. The bread becomes hard as a rock, but the cake layers remain moist and as perfect as when made. Who would have thought? […]

43. Donna says:

This will sound crazy. But ….when do you put the bread on top? During or after baking???? Thanks

44. […] cakes very often, but I do bake muffins and quick breads on occasion. The originator of this tip, BakedBree.com, says placing a slice of bread on top of cakes, muffins, etc. will keep them moist as they cool on […]

45. Shelly says:

Made this today for a birthday party. While the flavor combos are delicious, I had major stability issues. I sliced each cake layer in 2 as recommended, but this filling is not strong enough to support the cake. I also had trouble getting the whipped cream to fold into the peanut butter- the delicate cream couldn’t hold up against the pb.

I would make this again but adjust the filling. The idea and flavor combos are great.

46. Nina says:

This cake is delicious! I threw all the PB filling I’m between and it oozed everywhere. I should have listened to your advice :) good anyway though!

47. Stella Brown says:

Thanks for the bread tip….. I never thought to do that, I keep my brown sugar moist and soft by keeping a slice of bread in the zip lock bag…. and it too gets hard as a rock……
    thanks for sharing……..