Eggs Baked in Spiced Tomato Sauce with Feta Cheese – A shakshuka recipe that has quickly become a staple. Perfect for a busy weeknight.
When we went to Morocco over Christmas, my husband fell in love with eggs made in a tandoori oven. He would go down to breakfast and be presented with a tandoori, the lid would be lifted and he would have a new baked egg dish of the day. Eggs would be sizzling in the pan, spiced depending on who made them that morning and served with bread that reminded me of a kaiser roll. He loved it.
I’m a firm believer in bringing your vacation home with you, and I am really encouraging his healthy eating, so I wanted to make him eggs like the ones we ate on that trip. Our kitchen doesn’t have a gas stove, so I didn’t bring home a tandoori oven. Even though I really, really, wanted to. After doing a little research I stumbled on shakshuka and thought that he might like it. Truly, I had no idea how much he would love it or how many times I was going to make it in the next few months.
On that trip to Morocco, I didn’t bring home a tandoori, but I did bring home a lot of spices. This is the perfect recipe for me to play with them. Smoked paprika, cumin, spicy red pepper, all go perfectly in this recipe. Shakshuka has become a staple its-late-and-I-need to feed-you kind of recipe. It takes 20 minutes from start to finish and is one pan and easy clean up for the win. And it is delicious to boot. I don’t eat eggs, however, I will happily put some of the sauce on a piece of pita or bread.
Tips for making Shakshuka //
- You can add whatever spices you like. More spice? Add more pepper flakes. Or a saute some jalapenos in with the onions. Less spice? Leave them out. You can customize this however you like.
- Need to feed a crowd? Add more eggs as you need.
- You can also make this on a sheet pan. Prepare the sauce and pour it on a rimmed sheet pan. Crack as many eggs as you need and cook them through in the oven.
- Serve with pita, naan, flatbread, or serve it in a sandwich.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt and pepper
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
Pour olive oil in a large saute pan, add onions and red pepper and cook over medium heat. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes, or until the vegetables soften.
Add garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, and oregano. Cook for another minute, stirring constantly.
Stir in the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Let the tomato mixture simmer for 10 minutes.
Move the sauce around to create wells for the eggs. Crack the eggs into holes. Cover and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, depending on how cooked you like your eggs.
Remove from heat, and top with crumbled feta, cilantro, and if desired more salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Serve immediately.