How often can you indulge in a healthy meal. With this Stuffed Chicken Breast with Spinach recipe, you can. Inside juicy chicken breast lies a flavorful mixture of spinach, ricotta, and herbs, creating a dish that is both delicious and nutritious.
Remember when, on Easter mornings, you would crack open a chocolate egg, only to find a toy or — gasp! — chocolate bars inside? Well, this is sort of like that, except instead of chocolate inside chocolate, it’s spinach and ricotta inside a chicken breast. So it’s the adult equivalent. Seriously though, it’s something healthy and delicious inside something healthy and delicious. It feels decadent and yet, it is so healthy. And if you’re feeding this to your kids, it’s a great way to get some greens in them without them really being aware of it. AND it’s quick and easy. Need I say more?
Why You Will Love This Recipe //
- Every busy parent or working adult knows that sometimes you just really need a nutritious meal that isn’t going to take hours and that tastes delicious! This is it!
- It’s made with 3 key ingredients. The rest are staples.
- It’s low-maintenance. It uses only one pan, and with a side salad, you have a beautiful lunch or dinner.
- Spinach is good for you. Rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, iron, calcium, folate, and fiber. Plus, it’s been linked to reducing the risk of heart disease, cancer, and type 2 diabetes.
- 4 chicken breasts
- ½ small onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 cup baby spinach, shredded
- ¼ cup ricotta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 pats of butter*
How To Make // The Steps
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 F
Step 2: Make your filling by finely dicing your onion, garlic and shred the spinach. Then mix this together with the ricotta, olive oil and salt and pepper.
Step 3: Use a sharp knife to cut the chicken breasts lengthways in half.
Step 4: Fill the chicken breast with the delicious creamy spinach, it’s nice to add as much filling as you can.
Step 5: Use a kebab stick or toothpicks to weave together the chicken breasts so that they stay together in the oven.
Step 6: Place the stuffed chicken breast into an oiled cast-iron pan.
Step 7: Put a pat of butter on each breast and place in the oven for 10–15 minutes on each side.
Here are a few other ideas for you on what combinations you could use to stuff the chicken:
- Kale and mozzarella
- Mushrooms, spinach and feta
- Sundried tomato and cream cheese
- Broccoli and cheddar
You can also rub some spices or herbs with a little olive oil onto the chicken to add extra flavour and colour:
- Smoked paprika
- Curry spice
- Mixed herbs
Absolutely, see what you have in the fridge; this recipe is a good way to use up any vegetables you may have from previous meals. Take a look at the ‘Variations’ section to get some ideas.
Try to add more of the filling in so that it is really stuffed. Don’t forget that butter, it really adds some decadence. You could also add ingredients with more robust flavor, like olives or sundried tomatoes.
Ovens vary. What is ‘high’ heat in one might ‘medium-high’ in another. You might need to cut down the cooking time, or you could try covering the chicken with foil or a lid to keep some of the moisture in the pan.
Ha! It’s like asking how much is in a dash of salt. The general consensus is, a pat of butter is equal to about 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons. I like to think of it as a little slice (see pics).
How To Store Stuffed Chicken Breast //
Let the chicken cool completely. Wrap each breast in plastic or aluminum foil. It will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can also freeze the chicken. Wrap it in plastic or foil then place it in a freezer-safe bag or container. It should last for up to 3 months. When reheating, make sure the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
Stuffed Chicken Breast With Spinach
- 4 Chicken breasts
- ½ Small onion finely diced
- 1 Clove garlic crushed
- 1 Cup Baby spinach shredded
- ¼ cup ricotta
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 Knobs butter
- Preheat the oven to 350f
- Make your filling by finely dicing your onion, garlic and shred the spinach. Then mix this together with the ricotta, olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the chicken breasts length ways in half.
- Fill the chicken breast with the delicious creamy spinach, it’s nice to add as much filling as you can.
- Use a kebab stick or toothpicks to weave together the chicken breasts so that they stay together in the oven.
- Place the stuffed chicken breast into an oiled cast iron pan.
- Put a knob of butter on each breast and place int the oven for 10 – 15 minutes on each side.