I spend a lot of time in my kitchen. To keep myself occupied, I listen to podcasts. I have become obsessed with podcasts. One of my favorites is The Simple Mom Podcast. One of the episodes featured Jessica Fisher of Life as Mom. I started following her blog after hearing her on the show. She recently published a book called Not Your Mother’s Make Ahead & Freeze Cookbook. I was given a review copy and I have to say that I love it. Our lives have gotten so much busier as our kids have gotten older. Between practices, games, appointments, I feel like dinner sometimes is a second thought. I love having dinner with my family every night and I don’t want it to be a rushed thing, I want it to be a chance to reconnect and find out about their day. And I want it to be in our home.
Jessica’s book is full of freezer friendly meals that are made with healthy and wholesome ingredients. Nothing processed. I really like the idea of having a few meals in my freezer for days when I really don’t have the time to make dinner. I feel like it is having a little insurance. By having a meal in the freezer, it means one less night eating out. I let the kids look through the book and they wanted me to make Lawnmower Tacos. It is just about the most perfect boy meal ever. The most beautiful part, you can make two. One to eat the day you make it, and one for another night. Top with shredded lettuce, salsa, sour cream, and olives and let everyone top them they way that they want to.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 to 4 cups tortilla chips
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- Brown beef in a saute pan over medium-high heat. Cook until it is no longer pink. Drain any fat. Add taco seasoning and flour. Cook for a minute. Add chicken broth. Simmer until thick, about 15 minutes.
- Put the chips in a bag and crush them up a little bit. Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray. Layer chips, taco meat, and cheese. Add another layer. At this point, cover and chill before freezing.
- If frozen, thaw in the fridge. Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes.