This easy recipe for Banana Cream Cheese Muffins combines the sweet natural flavor of bananas with creamy, tangy cream cheese for a decadent muffin everyone will enjoy. Serve them as a snack, dessert or for breakfast with a cup of hot coffee.
Bananas are such a great ingredient for baking. Not only are they inexpensive, but they get sweeter as they ripen which means you’ll use less refined sugar in whatever you bake them into. I love using them to make a batch of Banana Oat Breakfast Cookies or my classic Banana Bread With Chocolate Chunks.
These banana muffins are something special! They add a layer of dense creamy and tangy flavor with the help of cream cheese which makes them filling enough to eat for breakfast but also light enough to have as a snack or dessert!
For The Muffins:
- Mashed Bananas – You’ll need ripened mashed bananas to help form the batter and give a natural banana flavor and sweetness to the muffin.
- Butter – Butter is used as the oil in these muffins and gives a rich buttery flavor.
- Cream Cheese – Room temperature cream cheese is found inside the muffin and also used to make the main muffin batter.
- Sugar – Granulated white sugar helps to sweeten up the muffin along with the ripe bananas.
- Egg – Egg helps bind all of the ingredients together and will help give the muffin it’s crust on top.
- Vanilla – Banana pairs well with the flavors of vanilla.
- Flour – This is the base dry ingredient for the muffins that give them their bulk and shape.
- Baking Powder & Soda – These two ingredients will help the muffin rise and make it fluffy.
- Salt – Salt balances all the flavors in the muffin.
- Cinnamon – This warming spice is a classic flavor in any banana recipe.
- Walnuts – Adds a nutty flavor, crunch and texture to the muffins. Feel free to use your favorite nut!
Cream Cheese Filling:
- Cream Cheese – The inside is filled with a base of cream cheese for a creamy surprise in the middle.
- Flour – Flour helps keep the cream cheese filling bound together when baking.
- Sugar – Helps sweeten up the inside filling of the banana.
- Egg – Binds together the filling and helps it set when baking.
- Vanilla – Adds a light vanilla flavor to the middle of the muffin.
How to Make // The Steps
How To Make Banana Cream Cheese Muffins
- Combine Wet Ingredients: Cream together butter, cream cheese, and sugar in a mixing bowl using a stand mixer or electric mixer. Add egg and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer until well combined.
- Combine Dry Ingredients: Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Add mashed bananas. Mix until just combined making sure not to overwork the batter.
- Make Cream Cheese Filling: In a small bowl, mix cream cheese, egg, flour, sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
- Divide batter evenly into 12 muffin cups. Add cream filling to a piping bag. Pipe cream cheese mixture into muffin batter. Top with walnuts.
- Bake Banana Cream Cheese Muffins: Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes before removing from the muffin tin and serving.
Tips & Tricks //
- Make sure you’re using bananas that are ripe enough to be sweet and can be mashed easy. These bananas have brown skin and are soft to the touch.
- It’s important to make sure you don’t overwork the dough. Mix everything until it’s combined but not any longer. This will make sure the muffins stay light.
- Since the batter is made with cream cheese, you may want to use muffin liners to fill the batter into. This will help the muffin keep from sticking to the muffin pan and will help with removal.
Why are Banana Cream Cheese Muffins So Good?
- A twist on banana bread. These have great banana bread flavor with a creamy surprise. If you’re bored of the same old banana bread and banana muffin recipes, you’ll love switching it up.
- They freeze well. You can make a large batch of them ahead of time and freeze them for later making them an excellent option for breakfast meal prep.
- Simple Ingredients. You can find all of the ingredients to make these muffins at any grocery store.
- Great for a brunch. Since they are a cross between breakfast and dessert, they make a great addition to any brunch.
- You can customize them. Add your favorite chopped nuts or warming spices you enjoy!
- Don’t like walnuts? Use chopped pecans, cashews or even peanuts to top your muffins.
- Add in chopped strawberries, blackberries or blueberries to the batter for a fruity cream cheese muffin.
- Replace the cinnamon with pumpkin pie spice for a great warming flavor.
- Give these muffins a light chocolate flavor by adding ¼ cup of unsweetened cocoa powder to the dry ingredients.
How to Store //
These muffins can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 5-7 days.
Make-Ahead and Freezer Options //
To freeze banana cream cheese muffins, wrap each in plastic wrap then add them to a freezer safe bag or container and freeze for up to 3 months. Let thaw in the fridge overnight before serving.
More Banana Recipes //
- Frozen Bananas
- Banana Cake with Vanilla Bean Frosting
- Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
- Nutella Swirl Banana Bread
If you make this recipe, I’d love to know how it goes! If you make this recipe and enjoy it, be sure to give it a 5-star rating!
Originally published in October 2012, updated April 2021 with updated images and updated recipe card.