This post is sponsored by KING’S HAWAIIAN®. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Big Batch Bacon Caprese Egg Sliders – Made with KING’S HAWAIIAN Original Hawaiian Sweet Rolls, scrambled eggs, tomatoes, basil, garlic, and cheese. Toasted until melty and golden brown.
We have a lot going on these days. It used to be easy to get all 5 of us around the table every night for dinner. Now that we have older kids, that is not the case. Between work, school, practice, meets, and games, life is busy for us. We still try to have dinner together every night, but it doesn’t always happen.
Weirdly, weekends have become less crazy than weekdays (high school sports are during the week—it’s life-changing) and we’ve started having family brunch instead of family dinner. It’s easier to get everyone around my table earlier in the day before they all scatter to do their own thing. They give me one weekend morning a week, and I make a big brunch. Everyone wins.
My other favorite occasion is the snow day brunch. We have a lot of snow days and late openings here in New England, and with that comes a slow morning. It is the perfect excuse to make a huge breakfast for my family and any of the neighborhood kids that are throwing snowballs in my yard.
I really like making breakfast, but I don’t love playing short-order cook. I don’t like flipping pancakes while everyone else is eating. By the time I’ve fed everyone and it’s time for me to eat, everyone else is done and wants to get up from the table.
Instead, I like to make big batch things that do not require me standing over the stove for ages. Cinnamon rolls, coffee cakes, egg casseroles—things that can be made ahead of time, prepped the night before, or that are easy to serve to a lot of people at once.
My husband loves an egg sandwich, and I wanted to figure out a way to make a lot of them at once. While doing my grocery shopping at Stop & Shop, I got the idea to make little caprese bacon egg sandwiches using KING’S HAWAIIAN Original Hawaiian Sweet Rolls. They are the perfect size, soft and fluffy, and have just a touch of sweetness.
I buy KING’S HAWAIIAN Original Hawaiian Sweet Rolls all the time for the kids’ lunches and make big-batch ham and cheeses all the time; I don’t know why it took me this long to make a breakfast sandwich with them. You can find them in the deli/bakery section at Stop & Shop!
I can make 12 sandwiches at once, and everyone can have a hot and toasty bacon and egg sandwich. You can prep the caprese part the night before and have these egg sliders on the table in minutes. I brush the tops of the rolls with garlic olive oil before they go in the oven, and they come out with melty cheese and a toasted top. So. Good.
Want to see how I made them?
Prep your caprese topping. Slice the tomatoes in half. Add garlic, red onions, salt, pepper, olive oil, and basil. Stir to combine. Set aside. You can make this a day ahead of time; keep in an airtight container in the fridge.
Whisk eggs, cream, salt, and pepper until smooth.
Heat a large sauté pan over medium-low heat. Melt butter. Pour in eggs and slowly stir. Cook slowly until the eggs are just set.
Slice the KING’S HAWAIIAN Original Hawaiian Sweet Rolls in half with a serrated knife. Place the bottoms in a parchment-lined 9″ x 13″ dish. Spoon eggs over the rolls.
Top with caprese topping.
And lots of cheese.
Add the top of the rolls and press gently. Mix together olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and oregano in a small bowl for brushing onto the tops of the rolls.
Brush the rolls with garlic oil.
Bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the rolls are golden brown.
Serve with fresh fruit, more bacon, and anything else you like for brunch. Whether you are serving your family or having lots of people over for brunch, this is a great recipe to have in your back pocket. You can customize it however you like. KING’S HAWAIIAN Bread will make any of your breakfast ideas irresistibly delicious!
Big Batch Bacon Caprese Egg Sliders
- 1 pint sweet tomatoes halved
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ cup red onion minced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh basil chopped
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ tsp. dried oregano
- 1 package KING’S HAWAIIAN® Original Hawaiian Sweet Rolls
- 12 eggs
- 2 Tbsp. heavy cream
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheese mozzarella and cheddar
- 12 pieces cooked bacon chopped
- To make the caprese topping, add the tomatoes, garlic, onion, basil, olive oil, salt, and pepper to a bowl. Mix to combine, and set aside. You can make this a day ahead of time, stored in the fridge in an airtight container.
- To make the garlic oil, mix the olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and oregano in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Line a 9" x 13" baking dish with foil or parchment. Slice KING’S HAWAIIAN® Original Hawaiian Sweet Rolls in half with a serrated knife. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs, cream, salt, and pepper until smooth. Heat a large sauté pan over medium-low heat. Melt butter and add eggs. Slowly stir in pan until the eggs are just set.
- Layer eggs on the bottoms of the KING’S HAWAIIAN® Original Hawaiian Sweet Rolls. Top with caprese topping, bacon, and cheese. Add the tops of the rolls. Press down gently.
- Brush the tops of rolls with garlic oil. Bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the tops of the rolls are golden brown.