This caramelized White Chocolate Banana Bread is super moist and loaded with white chocolate chips for a unique twist on the classic. A must-try recipe for breakfast or dessert!
Can you have too many banana bread recipes? I really don’t think so.
Banana bread is typically one of the first things we learn to bake as kids and holds a special place in our hearts forever. The smell of freshly baked banana bread wafting through the house brings me back to my childhood instantly.
That’s not to say, that it couldn’t be fancied up from time to time, right?
In this case, I’m using white chocolate to do the job. Not just any white chocolate either, but really high-quality white chocolate that will caramelize on the top and create the most golden crust imaginable.
This easy banana bread with white chocolate chips is made with butter, brown sugar, mashed bananas, eggs, vanilla, flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and white chocolate chips.
Bananas. The riper the bananas, the better. Use bananas with a many brown speckles on the surface. Sometimes I wait until the bananas are almost black! Not only will ripe bananas produce a bread that is moist and tender, but it will enhance the banana flavor, too!
If you’re in a pinch and want to speed up the ripening, place the bananas in a small paper bag with an apple or already ripe bananas and loosely fold the top. The bananas should be ripe in 1-2 days.
White Chocolate. The star of the show! Choose a brand with cocoa solids of at least 28%.
Callebaut W2 is my favorite brand of white chocolate, and you can order it from Walmart in smaller quantities. I order 99.9% of everything from Amazon, so I will order a larger quantity if I need to.
Sometimes they do have smaller bags and sometimes I’ll try a different brand. Still good, but I really like Callebaut the best.
How To Make // The Steps
Like all good things, this banana bread recipe starts by creaming butter and sugar until light and fluffy while mashing super ripe bananas.
- Cream the butter and sugar for a few minutes, preheat your oven to 350° and line a loaf pan with parchment. Lightly spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Mash the bananas and add the banana mixture to the mixer.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until well blended.
- Mix in the dry ingredients until just combined. This is a thick banana bread batter. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Add the white chocolate chips to the batter. I leave some out to add to the top of the loaf.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake the bread for 60-65 minutes. Or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then lift it out and let cool completely on a wire rack. Slice and enjoy!
What Makes This Super Moist White Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe So Good?
- Using all brown sugar instead of granulated gives this bread a bit of depth and adds caramel notes.
- SUPER ripe bananas. The best bananas to use are the ones that are almost black. Too mushy to eat, but perfect for baking. They are at peak sweetness and add a ton of moisture to the bread.
- Adding white chocolate that has 28% cocoa or white couverture chocolate to the top will turn golden brown and caramelize. I can’t describe to you how delicious caramelized white chocolate is if you have not tried it. It cuts some of the sweetness and gets almost nutty.
This banana bread is super moist and the white chocolate chips melt into the bread leaving behind this caramelized taste that is simply amazing. A few fun variations include:
- Use milk, dark or semisweet chocolate chips instead
- Add 1/2 cup toasted, chopped almonds, walnuts or pecans
- Substitute a 1:1 Gluten-Free flour if you are sensitive to gluten
How To Store
This caramelized white chocolate banana bread will keep best in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
I love pre-slicing the entire loaf as soon as it cools completely. Every time my kids and I want to enjoy a slice, all we have to do is pop it in the toaster oven for a few minutes to warm it through.
This one-of-a-kind banana bread makes a wonderful treat for breakfast or dessert!
Thank you to Amanda of I am Baker for this recipe.
More Banana Recipes //
- Nutella Swirl Banana Bread
- Banana Oat Breakfast Cookies
- Banana Cream Cheese Muffins
- Banana Cake with Vanilla Bean Frosting
- Frozen Bananas
White Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups ripe bananas mashed
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups white chocolate chips plus more for the top
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and lightly spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cream butter and brown sugar using an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add mashed banana, eggs, and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- Add flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt and mix on low until just combined, being careful to not overmix.
- Fold in ¾ cup white chocolate chips,
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly, top with remaining chips.
- Bake for 60 to 65 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes, remove and let cool completely on a wire rack.
Originally published in May 2010, updated March 2020 with updated images and updated recipe card. Still amazing.
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase using this link, I make a small percentage of that sale at no cost you.