Chocolate Chip Olive Oil Cake with Amaretto Strawberries – Take a trip to Italy with this olive oil chocolate chip cake. Top with whipped cream and Amaretto soaked strawberries.
Whew. It’s been a wild few weeks. We flew back to the States two and a half weeks ago, made a quick stop in New Jersey to see my family, and then made our way to Boston. We lived in a hotel for 10 days and officially moved into our house yesterday. It’s great, and we are really happy with it. The only downside, our stuff doesn’t arrive for another 2.5 weeks.
I’m typing this on a camping chair in my living room. Moving is not glamorous.
I have a lot to say about how happy we are to be here and how nice it is to be home. I feel 1000% more like myself. I need more time to process how I’m feeling, More on that later. In the meantime, I’m enjoying every second of our new area. We are in Lexington and without question, it is the nicest place we’ve ever lived.
Right now, I am super missing being in the kitchen. I haven’t cooked in almost two months and I am eager to get back into it. Not only am I tired of eating out and quick foods, but I genuinely enjoy cooking. It is relaxing to me, I love the chopping and mixing and the stirring, all of it. (Maybe not so much the dishes.)
We had to get rid of everything when we packed out, and I’m starting from scratch. I did a Wegmans shop today and I love that grocery store so much. As annoying as it is that I had to toss or give away everything in my kitchen, it is kind of nice to have to start my pantry fresh. I don’t buy a lot at once, basically for a couple of recipes at a time.
Before we had our house packed up, I cooked and baked a lot because I knew that it would be a while before I saw my pots and pans again. I made this simple and delicious chocolate chip olive oil cake and soaked some strawberries in Amaretto. The strawberry huts had just opened and the berries were bright red and sweet. I spooned some freshly whipped cream on top and shaved more chocolate over top. DIVINE.
This cake is very Italian in that it uses olive oil and is a simply flavored cake. If you stay in an Italian hotel, most will serve very thin slices of cake similar to this one with lots of fresh fruit and cheeses. When we were in Rome, I would seek out these cakes, they are so simple and plain, but so flavorful with a really great texture.
This cake is no different. It has the addition of chocolate, but not a lot, and you can taste everything. Use high quality olive oil and chocolate in this recipe, it makes a big difference. This cake holds well wrapped tightly in plastic wrap. It also freezes beautifully.
Olive Oil Chocolate Chip Cake with Amaretto Strawberries
Chocolate Chip Olive Oil Cake //
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon Amaretto
- 1 cup whole milk
- Zest of one lemon
- 2 3/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate finely chopped
Amaretto Strawberries //
- 2 pint strawberries sliced
- 3 Tablespoons Amaretto
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- Whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line two 9×5 loaf pans with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the sugar and eggs until pale yellow and thick, about three minutes. Add olive oil, vanilla, milk, and lemon zest.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter evenly between both pans and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until golden and a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool on rack for 20 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely.
- To make the strawberries, combine berries with Amaretto, lemon juice, and sugar. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve cake with whipped cream and berries.