When I think of street food, I immediately think of tacos. Probably because the only time I have ever eaten from a food truck, it happened to be a taco truck. I have a thing about food trucks – I love the idea of them, some of the food that comes out of them is nothing less than amazing, but do not enjoy the fact that you do not have a place to sit and enjoy your meal. I like to sit at a table and not have my food in my lap or make a huge mess. My husband gets lunch from the food trucks outside of his building and by the time he gets it back up to his office, it can be soggy and lukewarm; no where near the way that it was intended to be served. When I know that I am going to be eating something delicious, I want it to be the way the cook intended it to be eaten. Hot, crispy, crunchy, you get where I am going, right?
To combat my issue, I like to make my favorite street foods at home. I could eat tacos every night of the week and never get tired of them. I make so many different kinds of tacos, traditional chicken or beef, veggie, fish, even buffalo. You can get so creative with tacos, one of the best tacos I have ever eaten was a garlic and lobster taco in Mexico, I still dream about it. In the summer, I like to cook outside as much as I can because my kitchen gets so hot when I turn on the oven. I made these grilled chicken tacos a few nights ago, and they were so good. The chicken is marinated in a citrus and chipotle marinade and grilled. I made a quick slaw to go on top and it adds crunch and a little tang. I grilled the tortillas to warm them through. They got smoky char marks and the cheese melted and got gooey from the heat. These will be on heavy rotation from now on. Especially since I had all of the ingredients on hand when I decided to make them. Win-win.
If you like it spicy, add more chipotle. I went easy on them since I was serving this to my children too.
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoons orange juice
1 Tablespoon lime juice
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and pepper
Sargento Shredded Reduced Fat 4 Cheese Mexican
Heat tortillas, add sliced chicken. Top with slaw, shredded cheese, salsa, and sour cream.
- Juice of one orange
- Juice of one lime
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 3 Tablespoons chipotle peppers, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoons orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Coleslaw mix
- Corn tortillas
- Sargento Shredded Reduced Fat 4 Cheese Mexican
- Sour cream
- Salsa verde
- Mix together orange juice, lime juice, garlic, chipotle peppers, cumin, and salt. Pour over chicken in a plastic bag. Marinade in the fridge for one hour.
- Whisk together olive oil, orange juice, lime juice, vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper. Add coleslaw mix and toss. Set aside.
- Grill chicken over medium heat until cooked through. Let stand 5 minutes. Thinly slice. Heat tortillas, add sliced chicken. Top with slaw, cheese, salsa, and sour cream.
**This post is a part of my ongoing collaboration with Sargento Cheese. All opinions are 100% my own.**