Slow Cooker Lasagna – You can make delicious lasagna without turning on the oven. Slow cooker lasagna is divine.
I don’t know why people think that lasagna is hard to make. Even when making it the traditional way, it is really all about assembling. This version is made in the slow cooker, and it could not be easier.
I made this one as simple as I could. Cheese, pasta, and, sauce. Throw it in the slow cooker at lunchtime, and then you have a comforting home-cooked meal. I used regular lasagna noodles, not the no-boil kind. The key to making sure that the noodles cook is to add a lot of moisture. So make sure that you cover the noodles completely with sauce. Feel free to use a meat sauce, or add some sauteed onions and mushrooms. Even some spinach would be great in between the layers.
Having a few of these easy recipes up your sleeve helps get dinner on the table, without a lot of muss and fuss. I like to serve this lasagna with a little salad and some garlic bread.
Slow Cooker Lasagna Ingredients //
- 1 (24-ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 box lasagna noodles
- 1 (15-ounce) container of ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
How to Make // The Steps
Step 1: Mix together ricotta cheese, egg, garlic (I mince mine with my Microplane), oregano, basil, salt, and pepper.
Step 2: Mix in the parsley, and most of the Parmesan. I reserve some to add to the top.
Step 3: The key to making this work is to make sure that there is a lot of moisture. Put about 1 cup of sauce in the bottom of your slow cooker.
Step 4: Lay 3 noodles over the sauce.
Step 5: Add half of the cheese mixture.
Step 6: Sprinkle a bit of the mozzarella over the ricotta cheese. This acts like glue when the cheese melts and holds everything together.
Step 7: Add another layer of noodles and cheese. I add 3 more noodles to the top and more sauce.
Step 8: I add a layer of paper towel before I put the lid on the slow cooker. It helps to keep the moisture off of the lasagna.
Step 9: Cook on LOW for 4 to 5 hours. The noodles need to be soft.
Step 10: Sprinkle the lasagna with the rest of the mozzarella and Parmesan.
Step 11: And some more parsley. I think that it adds a lot of freshness. It is also how my mom makes lasagna, so that is what I do too. Cook until the cheese melts, about 20-30 minutes.
Step 12: Let the lasagna stand for a few minutes before you cut it. It will hold together better and not fall apart.
Step 13: Serve with some garlic bread and a simple salad.
How to Store and Can You Freeze?
On the rare occasion that you have leftovers, what do you do? You can store your slow cooker lasagna in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge. This will keep your pasta stay fresh for 3 to 5 days.
You can also freeze your dish. Wrap your lasagna in a layer of plastic wrap. Then wrap it again in tin foil. This will prevent your pasta dish from drying out and will stop freezer burns from happening. This will help preserve your lasagna for 1 month. Before you reheat your pasta transfer it to the fridge to thaw a day before.
Recipe Tips Section
- You can add a few vegetables to make your slow cooker lasagna healthier. Adding a layer of mushrooms and spinach will make it taste like a classic Italian dish, You can also use slices of eggplant and tomatoes which go well with herbs like oregano and basil. Added vegetables also help keep the dish from drying out.
- This recipe is vegetarian but I love adding a protein to my lasagna. My go to protein is ground beef but you can also use ground turkey, shredded chicken, or different types of sausages. You can also mix and match the herbs you use to complement the meat you are using. Remember to cook the meat well and season it to bring out its savory flavors.
- A blend of cheeses is always best for your slow cooker lasagna. Ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan are great because they give a blend of stringy, creamy, and rich flavors to your pasta dish. you can also use provolone. They give a balance of bold and mild flavors.
When meal time comes you can cut your lasagna into squares. Each portion will feed 1 person. You can serve it alongside a caprese chicken salad, or toasted and buttered slices of this honey wheat sunflower bread. If you want to make to add more meat to your meal this marinated steak or this herb roasted turkey can feed a whole family.