This recipe for Caprese Chicken is my twist on this summer dinner favorite. By topping grilled chicken with a mix of bruschetta and mozzarella, you’ll enjoy the light and fresh flavors without having to turn on the oven. Great for a weeknight meal when you need something fast and easy!
One of the things that I really love about making chicken Caprese is that you keep the kitchen nice and cool. I like to make the Caprese part a few hours before I want to serve this and then send the hubs out to grill the chicken later which helps save me time.
The simple Caprese salad comes together quickly with the help of simple ingredients. I like to make the bruschetta ahead of time so the flavors marry together beautifully before I put it on the grilled chicken. Any leftover Caprese is great on some toasted crusty bread!
- Chicken Breasts – These are seasoned with salt and pepper, then grilled up to perfection making them ready for Caprese topping.
- Baby Sweet Tomatoes – These fresh summer gems add a natural sweetness and acidity to the Caprese.
- Red Onion – A slightly mild version of onion gives color and flavor.
- Mozzarella Cheese – You’ll need a fresh ball of mozzarella to add a creamy flavor and texture to the topping.
- Fresh Basil – Gives the Caprese a fresh herb summer taste and pop of green color.
- Olive Oil – Binds the Caprese salad together and gives it a rich texture and flavor.
- Balsamic Vinegar – Adds a naturally sweet and acidic taste that pairs well with fresh Italian flavors.
- Salt & Pepper – Balances out the flavors in the salad and are used to taste.
How to Make // The Steps
- Prepare the Caprese. Cut tomato, onion, mozzarella, and basil into bite-size pieces and add to a bowl along with olive oil, salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar. Toss everything together and taste it to make sure that the seasoning is balanced. Set aside for an hour or two.
- Grill the chicken. Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Brush chicken breasts with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Reduce grill heat to medium-low. Cook on each side for 4-5 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve it up. Top grilled chicken with Caprese topping and serve with your favorite side dishes.
Tips & Tricks
- Let it sit, then season again. When making Caprese salad it’s important to let it sit for at least 2 hours then taste it again before you are going to serve it to make sure the flavors are balanced.
- Fully cook the chicken. Chicken is fully cooked when the internal temperature reaches 165F. Use a meat thermometer for accurate results.
- Make it indoors. If you can’t fire up the grill, try using a grill pan for tender chicken and beautiful marks without the use of a grill.
Why is Caprese Chicken So Good?
- This dish is a summer staple. Not only do you get the grilled flavor on the chicken, but summer is the best time for ripe tomatoes and fresh basil.
- Great leftovers. Make a double or triple batch of the Caprese to use on crusty bread or as a dip with crackers.
- Make ahead. The Caprese salad is best when made ahead of time. The basil and tomato will begin to release their moisture which will blend together great with the other flavors.
- No need for the oven. There’s no need to turn on the oven in the warmer months with this recipe. Simply grill the chicken outside.
- Brush pesto onto the cooked chicken before topping with Caprese for bold basil and garlic flavor.
- This recipe can also be made using boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- Sweeten the dish by adding a drizzle of balsamic glaze to the top.
- For a creamy treat, try using a ball of buffalo mozzarella instead of cow’s milk.
How to Store //
You can store Caprese chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. It’s best to keep the chicken and Caprese salad separate and assemble just before eating.
Make-Ahead and Freezer Options
Caprese salad does not hold up in the freezer as the fresh ingredients have high water content. Therefore, freezing is not recommended unless you are freezing the chicken separately.
More Easy Chicken Dinner Recipes
- 1 cup of baby sweet tomatoes
- 1 medium red onion diced
- 1 ball of mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 4 chicken breasts
- Cut tomato, onion, mozzarella, and basil into bite-size pieces. Add to a mixing bowl. Add a generous amount of salt and pepper.
- Mix in oil and vinegar.
- Give everything a toss. Taste it to make sure that the seasoning is right. Set aside for an hour or two. Taste it again before you are going to serve it.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Brush chicken breasts with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce grill heat to medium-low. Cook on each side for 4-5 minutes or until cooked through.
- Top grilled chicken with Caprese topping.