This Baked Sweet Potato Fries with Toasted Marshmallow Dip recipe is sweet and salty heaven. It’s a wonderful appetizer or side dish for birthday parties, holiday tables or weeknight dinner fun.
I cannot take credit for this one. There is a really good burger place in Lawrence, Kansas called The Burger Stand. They have a condiment station that rivals any I have ever seen. All of the condiments are homemade, and all incredible.
And they had one, mysterious sweet flavor called toasted marshmallow. I thought that it was the coolest idea ever.
All it is – toasted marshmallows blended with some cream. How fun would this be for a kid’s birthday party or holiday table? Something a little different, and very, very fun.
All it takes is 5 simple ingredients including sweet potatoes, olive oil, sea salt, marshmallows and heavy cream.
Sweet Potatoes. Any shape or size sweet potato will do. When you get home from the store, thoroughly wash, scrub, peel and cut into batons about ½-inch thick (see steps below!).
Marshmallows. I like the Jumbo marshmallows you can find in the baking aisle of most grocery stores. Regular or mini marshmallows can also work, just keep an eye on them as soon as you put them in the oven.
How to Cut Sweet Potato Fries
The cooking time will vary depending on the thickness of your potatoes, but this is the method I stick to every time:
- Wash, scrub and peel the sweet potatoes.
- Cut off the stem ends.
- Slice all four sides of the potato to square it off.
- Make ½-inch slices down the potato, then cut the planks into ½-inch batons.
How to Make // The Steps
I really enjoy sweet potato fries. The one trick to super-crisp sweet potatoes – a very hot oven. It is helpful if you preheat it for a bit before you put the sweet potatoes in.
- Put the sweet potato wedges into a large bowl. Add olive oil and sea salt. Toss and coat completely.
- Line a baking sheet (or two) with tin foil or parchment paper. Lay the sweet potatoes out in a single layer. Bake in a preheated 475-degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes. It really depends on how thick your fries are.
- Meanwhile, line a cake pan with tin foil. Arrange marshmallows in a single layer.
- Add the marshmallows to the oven with the sweet potatoes. Cook until the marshmallows begin to puff and toast, about 5 minutes. Next time, I will go darker, I loved the toasted flavor in the sauce and think that it could be even more pronounced.
- Add the heavy cream and marshmallows to a blender. The marshmallows are super sticky, so I just scraped off as much as I could. Blend until smooth. Add more cream if you need to thin the dip out.
- Take the fries out of the oven. Check for seasoning, and add more salt if needed. Serve with toasted marshmallow dip.
What Makes These Sweet Potato Fries with Marshmallow Dip So Good?
I am a sweet potato fiend. I adore them in just about which way. But this combines both salty and sweet flavors for a side dish I make time and time again because:
- A super hot oven and space between the fries bake sweet potatoes to crisp and tender every time.
- The toasted marshmallow dip is so easy and absolutely divine.
- My kids love it and it makes a wonderful appetizer or side dish for any occasion.
The baked sweet potato fries and marshmallow dipping sauce are best served right away.
Dip Tip: As the dip cools, the marshmallow begins to harden. If this happens, just put it back in the blender with a splash of milk or cream and it will smooth out again.
Top Tips for Baked Sweet Potato Fries with Marshmallow Dipping Sauce:
- Make sure the oven is super hot. I like to preheat the oven way ahead of time before I even start prepping the recipe.
- Use more than one baking sheet, if necessary. The sweet potato fries need 1-2 inches of space between each piece. This ensures the hot air in the oven can reach all sides of the potato for the ultimate crisp exterior.
- Use aluminum foil or parchment-paper. Keep in mind that aluminum foil conducts heat more efficiently, which means deeper, darker sweet potatoes and marshmallows.
- Toast the marshmallows to pale, golden brown or charred. I kept it at a happy, golden-brown medium, which took about 5 minutes in my oven. Keep the marshmallows in the oven longer for a deeper, toasty flavor.
- Serve immediately. The fries and marshmallow dip are best when served straight away. If the marshmallow sauce tightens up, simply put it back in the blender with a splash or milk or cream or re-whip by hand.
More Sweet Potato Recipes //
- Kale and Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
- Pressure Cooker Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Ruth’s Chris Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Topping
Originally published in April 2012, updated November 2020 with updated images and updated recipe card.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to know how it goes! Be sure to follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest, too!
23 Best Ideas Dip for Sweet Potato Fries – Best Round Up Recipe Collections
Tuesday 18th of January 2022
[…] Best Dip For Sweet Potato Fries from Baked Sweet Potato Fries with Toasted Marshmallow Dip. Source Image: bakedbree.com. Visit this site for details: bakedbree.com […]
Saturday 1st of January 2022
This design is wicked! You definitely know how to keep a reader entertained. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost...HaHa!) Great job. I really loved what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it. Too cool!
Friday 31st of December 2021
I think this is one of the most significant information for me. And i am glad studying your article. But should commentary on some general issues, The website style is ideal, the articles is in reality excellent : D. Excellent job, cheers
Sunday 13th of December 2020
As someone who recently graduated from the University of Kansas in Lawrence, I have been missing the Burger Stand significantly. This dip came closer than any other recipe I have tried. Thanks!
Sunday 13th of December 2020
This makes me so happy! I am so glad that you found this then. And congrats!
50 Burger Recipes plus Burger Tips and Secrets Revealed
Saturday 27th of June 2020
[…] Sweet Potato Fries with Toasted Marshmallow Dip […]