I remember my parent’s having dinner parties when I was young. My mom would give me $5 to pretend to be a waitress and put the dishes in the dishwasher. It seemed so grown up and fun. If only I knew then how un-fun doing dishes really is, I would have asked for more money. One of the perks was getting to have the dessert that the grown ups were having. A lot of times my mom would make her famous chocolate sauce. She was making homemade Magic Shell long before Pinterest. I loved it, and since she didn’t make sweet things very often, it was a huge treat.
I also really like to make sundaes when people come over for dinner. Especially when I make something on the fancier side for dinner. I think that sundaes are fun and playful after a nice meal. I also really enjoy how easy they are to make. Buy some ice cream, make a little sauce, and you are ready to go. This Marshmallow Hot Fudge Sauce can be made a few days ahead of time and gently reheated when you are ready for dessert. I like to scoop the ice cream into the bowls that I am going to serve it in and freeze them until I am ready for them.
I get a lot of comments about coffee when I add it to chocolate recipes. Feel free to leave it out if you like, but coffee really brings out the flavor in chocolate. Sort of like like adding a pinch of salt to sweet things. It doesn’t taste like coffee, it just makes the chocolate more chocolate-y.
12 ounces semisweet chocolate
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon instant coffee or espresso powder
1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
6 Tablespoons marshmallow creme
Chop the chocolate into small pieces.
Add the pieces to a heatproof bowl and add cocoa and coffee powder.
Heat the cream in a small saucepan over medium heat until it comes to a simmer.
Pour the hot cream over the chocolate.
I like to scoop my ice cream ahead of time and keep them in the freezer until we are ready to eat it.
Let stand for 30 seconds, and whisk until smooth.
Add the marshmallow.
Mix until combined.
Pour over ice cream. This recipe is from Epicurious Dinner Rush.
Marshmallow Hot Fudge Sauce
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee or espresso powder
- 1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 6 Tablespoons marshmallow creme
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces. Add the pieces to a heatproof bowl and add cocoa and coffee powder.
- Heat the cream in a small saucepan over medium heat until it comes to a simmer.
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate. Let stand for 30 seconds, and whisk until smooth. Add the marshmallow and mix until combined.
- Pour over ice cream.
- This sauce can be made 3 days ahead of time and reheated. Keep in an airtight container in the fridge.