I have made this coffee cake more than I have made anything else in the last few weeks. I think that I have made over 12 cakes already (I swear that I didn’t eat them all myself). This cake is exactly what you want in a coffee cake. Moist cake, sweet, crunchy, and cinnamon-y. Perfect to have with a steamy cup of coffee. A very nice way to start a day of you ask me.
I always give my children’s new teachers a first day of school present. I think that it is a nice way to say that we are looking forward to having them as our teacher. This year, I decided to make this coffee cake from Midwest Living. It is the best and easiest coffee cake ever. I love it, and can see myself making about a thousand different variations of this cake. I think that this cake would also make a really thoughtful hostess gift.
The recipe that I have included makes 1 cake for a 10-inch tube pan. I doubled it, and made them in disposable mini tube pans.
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- blue ribbon coffee cake recipe
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add eggs, sugar, butter, and vanilla. Beat until it begins to come together. It is okay if it looks curdled, it comes together. Add the dry ingredients. Mix until just moist. Add sour cream. Mix until smooth. In a bowl, mix together walnuts, both sugars, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Spray the pan with baking spray. Spoon half of the batter into the bottom of the pan, spread around. Sprinkle with streusel. Add another layer of batter and another layer of streusel.
- Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 40 to 50 minutes. Cool completely.