Veggie Lasagna – layers of lasagna noodles, herbed ricotta, sauteed mushrooms, peppers, onions, and spinach, covered in melted cheese.
One of my favorite things to eat is lasagna. I love it. And I love that it is easy to make and you can make it a million different ways. This veggie lasagna is my new favorite, and have made it many, many times. In fact, I made it for Christmas dinner last year. It is that good.
Lasagna is traditionally made of 3 components: the noodles, the sauce and the cheese. In this recipe, I have made the sauce vegetarian, using mushrooms instead of minced meat.
Use whatever vegetables you have in your fridge, but mushrooms, red and yellow peppers, and onions are my favorite combination. If you have a slow cooker at home, make sure to check my slow cooker lasagna recipe.
Veggie Lasagna Ingredients //
This is what you will need for the perfect veggie lasagna:
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces baby spinach
- 2 red peppers, sliced
- 2 yellow peppers, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon dried basil
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 egg
- 1 box no boil lasagna noodles
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese (I use a mixture of fresh and shredded)
- 2 jars Rose Romano’s Red Bells (or a jarred marinara with roasted peppers)
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
How to Make Veggie Lasagna //
Step 1: In a large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and mushrooms and cook until they soften, about 5 minutes.
Step 2: Add red and yellow peppers. Cook until soft, about 10 minutes.
Step 3: Add spinach and season with 1/2 teaspoon each salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Cook until wilted, about 2 more minutes.
Step 4: Set the vegetable mixture aside.
Step 5: In another bowl, mix together ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, garlic, oregano, basil, egg, and remaining salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
Step 6: To assemble the lasagna, start by spreading a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of a 9×13 pan. Add a layer of lasagna noodles and ricotta mixture.
Step 7: Add a layer of vegetables.
Step 8: Add slices of fresh mozzarella and shredded mozzarella.
Step 9: Repeat until you have used all of the ingredients. Top with chopped parsley.
Step 10: Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour covered with foil. Remove the foil and bake an additional 20 minutes.
Step 11: Let rest for 20 minutes before slicing.
How to Store and Can You Freeze?
You can assemble this a day ahead of time, keep it in the fridge, and bake it off before you serve it. Or, you can bake it off and reheat it.
If I am only feeding my family, I usually make it in two 8×8 pans, and keep the other one in the freezer. It will be good to eat for up to 3 months. If you want to avoid freezer burns, you can wrap your lasagna in a layer of plastic wrap. You will need to thaw it in the fridge for a few hours before cooking it.
Recipe Tips Section //
- Mushroom is an excellent substitute for meat in lasagna. I like to use button mush
- This recipe is vegetarian but I love adding a protein to my lasagna. My go to protein is ground beef but you can also use ground turkey, shredded chicken, or different types of sausages. You can also mix and match the herbs you use to complement the meat you are using. Remember to cook the meat well and season it to bring out its savory flavors.
- A blend of cheeses is always best for your slow cooker lasagna. Ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan are great because they give a blend of stringy, creamy, and rich flavors to your pasta dish. you can also use provolone. They give a balance of bold and mild flavors.