I don’t know why people think that lasagna is hard to make. Even when making it the traditional way, it is really all about assembling. This version is made in the slow cooker, and it could not be easier. I made this one as simply as I could. Cheese, pasta, and, sauce. Throw it in the slow cooker at lunch time, and then you have a comforting home cooked meal. I used regular lasagna noodles, not the no-boil kind. The key to making sure that the noodles cook is to add a lot of moisture. So make sure that you cover the noodles completely with sauce. Feel free to use a meat sauce, or add some sauteed onions and mushrooms. Even some spinach would be great in between the layers.
Having a few of these easy recipes up your sleeve helps get dinner on the table, without a lot of muss and fuss. I like to serve this lasagna with a little salad and some garlic bread.
1 (24-ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
1/2 box lasagna noodles
1 (15-ounce) container ricotta cheese
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
salt and pepper
1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
2 cup shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
Mix together ricotta cheese, egg, garlic (I mince mine with my Microplane), oregano, basil, salt, and pepper.
- 1 (24-ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- ½ box lasagna noodles
- 1 (15-ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper
- ¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 cup shredded mozzarella
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan
- Mix together ricotta cheese, egg, garlic (I mince mine with my Microplane), oregano, basil, salt, and pepper.
- Mix in the parsley, and most of the Parmesan. I reserve some to add to the top.
- The key to making this work is to make sure that there is a lot of moisture. Put about 1 cup of sauce in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Lay 3 noodles over the sauce.
- Add half of the cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle a bit of the mozzarella over the ricotta cheese. This acts like glue when the cheese melts and holds everything together.
- Add another layer of noodles and cheese. I add 3 more noodles to the top and more sauce.
- I add a layer of paper towel before I put the lid on the slow cooker. It helps to keep the moisture off of the lasagna.
- Cook on LOW for 4 to 5 hours. The noodles need to be soft.
- Sprinkle the lasagna with the rest of the mozzarella and Parmesan.
- And some more parsley. I think that it adds a lot of freshness. It is also how my mom makes lasagna, so that is what I do too. Cook until the cheese melts, about 20-30 minutes.
- Let the lasagna stand for a few minutes before you cut it. It will hold together better and not fall apart.
- Serve with some garlic bread and a simple salad.