You know when you come home from a trip, you just crave a home cooked meal. After eating out for a week, I just felt gross and wanted something comforting and something that came out of my kitchen. The problem is that I just didn’t feel like cooking. I spent the day at Costco and the grocery store filling my house again with food, but had zero motivation to make something that required more than 5 minutes of work. So this is what I came up with. I saw something similar on Martha Stewart and completely took the idea and ran with it. Thanks Martha!
It was exactly what I was looking for. Easy. Comforting. Delicious. I will make this on nights that I do feel like cooking even! The key is the butter that you make to put on the bread. It just adds a bit of something-something that makes it go above a store bought chicken and some barbecue sauce on some toasted bread.
1 rotisserie chicken shredded
1 1/2 cups barbecue sauce (I used my homemade sauce, but your favorite bottle sauce will be wonderful also)
3 tablespoons room temperature butter
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 garlic clove minced finely
salt and pepper
4 rolls or 8 slices white bread
Set the butter aside. The leftover butter is so good on corn, garlic bread, tossed into pasta. It is the same butter that I use for my garlic bread. Yum.
Put the chicken into a saucepan and add the barbecue sauce. Cook over medium heat until heated through.
Dinner is ready. I served mine with a side of cucumber salad. But this sandwich alone would make me very happy too.
- 1 rotisserie chicken shredded
- 1½ cups barbecue sauce (I used my homemade sauce, but your favorite bottle sauce will be wonderful also)
- 3 tablespoons room temperature butter
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove minced finely
- salt and pepper
- 4 rolls or 8 slices white bread
- Combine the butter, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Set the butter aside.
- Shred the chicken.
- Put the chicken into a saucepan and add the barbecue sauce. Cook over medium heat until heated through.
- Meanwhile, butter your rolls. Stick them in a hot oven to toast.
- Put some chicken mixture on the toasty, garlic roll.