There is a DIY super healthy salad bar chain in DC called Sweetgreen that I love. I could eat there every day and never get tired of it. I always get the same thing – a kale Caesar (hold the tomato) and a green juice for later. One of the biggest surprises from working with Sargento on my flavor journey is my new found love for kale and dark greens. 6 months ago I never, ever, ever would have ordered a kale salad. Now I want to eat it every day, and sometimes more than once a day. As much as I love going to Sweetgreen, it is kinda far from my house, and DC traffic is always a gamble, so I decided to make my own at home. It is just as good if not better, if I do say so myself.
My version is a little different than theirs, I use a more vinaigrette-type dressing, and they use a creamy one. You could even use a high quality bottled dressing if you wanted to. In place of croutons, they use Parmesan crisps and it is a brilliant idea. Parmesan crisps are really easy to make at home. Just line a baking sheet with parchment and spread the cheese in a thin layer, bake until the edges are brown and crisp. The crisps are great in soups too. Another thing I love about this salad is the squeeze of fresh lime right before you eat it. I love the fresh hit. I would never have thought to do that on my own, thanks Sweetgreen!
On a personal note, Happy Birthday to my Nonnie. Hope that your day is wonderful, we wish that we could spend it with you. xoxo.
1 (5-oz.) bag Sargento Artisan Blends Parmesan Cheese
1 head curly kale
1 head romaine
Roasted chicken, cut into small chunks
1 clove minced garlic
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 Tablespoon raw honey
1 Tablespoon lemon juice (or lime)
Salt and pepper
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat. Spread the cheese out into a thin, single layer. (Next time, I would probably do about 6 smaller rounds. I like the burnt edges.)
**This post is a part of my ongoing collaboration with Sargento Cheese. All opinions are 100% my own.**
- 1 (5-oz.) bag Sargento Artisan Blends Parmesan Cheese
- 1 head curly kale
- 1 head romaine
- Lime wedges
- Roasted chicken, cut into small chunks
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon raw honey
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice (or lime)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat. Spread the cheese out into a thin, single layer. (Next time, I would probably do about 6 smaller rounds. I like the burnt edges.) Bake for 6 to 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the edges are brown and crisp. Let cool completely and break into small pieces.
- Wash the kale. Cut out the stalks. Cut into thin strips. Cut the romaine into thin strips also.
- Add the garlic, Dijon, honey, lemon juice, salt and pepper to a mason jar. Shake well. Add olive oil and shake again. Taste for seasoning,
- To make the salad, add the kale, romaine, chicken, and Parmesan crisps to a large bowl. Add about half of the dressing. Toss well, and add more dressing if needed.
- Serve with lime wedges and squeeze over the salad.