There really isn’t such thing as a bad beach day – all days spent with sun and sand are considered good in my book. But, when you add an icy cold adult mason jar beach cocktail, it goes from good to excellent. For this particular trip to the beach I made Mango Blackberry Mint Lemonade and Blueberry Basil Lemonade. Refreshing, sweet, and just fancy enough to feel really special. People sitting around us noticed our little mason jars and asked about them, I think that the concept could really take off.
I can’t take the credit for this idea one bit. It was all my sister. Side note – you know how you think that you know someone really well and then find out something really random about them? I talk to her 14 times a day and I had no idea that she became a Master Mixologist (I’m not sure if that is her official title) when she was in college. She said that it was a really hard class and they even gave homework every night. It all makes sense now because she does make the best drinks. Perfectly balanced. Anyway, I stole this idea from her.
The key to a good beach bev is keeping them ice. cold. A lukewarm cocktail isn’t really worth drinking.
Some tips for keeping ’em cold:
- Keep the vodka in the freezer. It won’t freeze, and it helps keep the drinks really chilled.
- Freeze the fruit you are going to use. It serves the same purpose as ice, but won’t dilute the drink.
- Don’t fill the jars all the way up. Leave some room for ice just before you are going to drink them.
- Keep a separate Ziploc bag full of clean ice in the cooler. This keeps sandy hands out of the ice and ultimately out of the cocktails.
When we get to the beach, I add some ice, put the lid back on and give it a good shake. Then I trade out tops, and add a straw. I found these tops and on straws on etsy a few years ago, but you can probably get them at a craft store. Slap on some sunscreen and enjoy.
Blueberry Basil Lemonade
- 2 ounces Blueberry Vodka (I like Stoli the best.)
- frozen blueberries
- lemon slices
- basil leaves
Add 2 ounces of blueberry vodka to each mason jar.
Fill 2/3 of the way with lemonade.
Top with basil leaves, lemon slices, and blueberries. (I had super fancy micro-basil that I needed to use, they have a very short shelf-life.)
Screw the lids on and put in the cooler.
Mango Blackberry Mint Lemonade
- 2 ounces mango vodka (whatever kind you can find, Belvedere makes a Mango Passionfruit that I’m going to try next time)
- frozen mango slices
- frozen blackberries
- fresh mint
Same as above. 2 ounces of vodka, top with lemonade, add frozen mango, blackberries, and mint.
Add them to the cooler and cover completely with ice. (Just to be careful, make sure that the kids know that these are for the grownups. You might want to consider labeling them.)
There are so many flavored vodkas these days that you could make lots of different kinds. Raspberry, peach, pomegranate. If you wanted to keep these alcohol-free, you could add some flavored syrups instead.