This amazing Nutella Banana Bread puts a chocolate hazelnut twist on the classic banana bread recipe. A beautifully marbled loaf to enjoy for breakfast, dessert or an afternoon treat!
The Internet can be a crazy place. I “met” a friend in a photography Facebook group. She and her husband were moving to Germany and asked for some advice.
Once she moved in, she had me over for coffee and she made this delicious Nutella Swirl Banana Bread. When I walked into her house, it smelled like absolute heaven.
It tasted like heaven, too. Of course, I asked her for the recipe and I’ve made it three times since then. (It was two weeks ago, I have no shame.)
Clay loves Nutella. (His favorite way to eat it is to dip Goldfish into it. Not the way that I would ever enjoy Nutella, but who am I to yuck his yum?)
He also loves banana bread, so he thinks that is a marriage made in heaven. I packed some slices in his lunchbox and he was a happy dude.
Nutella Banana Bread Ingredients //
The ingredients for chocolate hazelnut banana bread include:
- 4 Tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Nutella. Italian Nutella is the good stuff. There are a few other chocolate-hazelnut spreads on the market, but I find Nutella to provide the best texture and consistency.
- 2 very ripe Bananas, mashed. Use super ripe, brown speckled bananas. The riper the bananas, the sweeter and more banana-y the bread. If I know I am making this bread, I purchase bananas a few days ahead of time and allow them to ripen on the kitchen counter.
How To Make // The Steps
This easy banana bread with nutella is so simple to make, you’ll wonder why you never started swirling nutella into your bread in the first place. Simply:
Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 9×5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper and spray lightly with cooking spray.
Cream butter and sugar. In the bowl of an electric mixer (or in a large bowl by hand), cream together butter and sugar.
Mix in wet ingredients. Add eggs, one at a time. Mix until combined, it will look curdled. Add vanilla. Mix until well combined.
Add mashed bananas and milk.
Add dry ingredients. Sieve flour, baking soda, and salt over the bowl.
Gently mix until flour can no longer be seen in the batter.
Microwave Nutella on HIGH for 15 – 20 seconds, or until it loosens. Add 1 cup of batter and mix to combine.
Create a marble swirl. Spoon both batters alternately into the prepared pan. Use a chopstick or knife and gently swirl the chocolate into the banana batter.
Bake for 50 minutes – 1 hour. A toothpick will come out with some crumbs. Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove and let cool completely on a wire rack. Slice and enjoy!
Tips For Nutella Banana Bread: //
- Use very ripe, brown-speckled bananas. This is the key to sweet, moist banana bread. To speed up the ripening process, place the bananas in a paper bag with an apple or ripe banana. The bananas should ripen in 1-2 days. If you’re ready to make the banana bread now, pierce them all over with a fork and place in the preheated 350-degree oven for 10 minutes until brown. Cool completely before adding to the batter!
- Use room temperature butter and eggs. This ensures the ingredients blend together and bake evenly in the oven. If you’ve forgotten to remove the eggs from the fridge, place in a bowl of warm water for 10 minutes while you gather the remaining ingredients.
- Microwave the Nutella. I know it sounds strange, but a quick blast in the microwave softens the nutella enough to easily mix into the batter. Keep it to 15-20 seconds. Any longer and the nutella may burn.
- Don’t add more Nutella. As tempting as it may be, too much nutella will make the batter too heavy. Stick with the recipe. You can always slather more onto each slice of bread!
Marbled Banana Bread Variations //
I haven’t tried it myself, but I would bet that this would work with Biscoff Spread and would be delicious.
I’d do the same thing, give it about 15 seconds in the microwave and add some batter to it. Swirl it into the banana batter and bake it off.
Peanut butter would be great too. I’m partial to Nutella, but the peanut butter lovers in your life would be happy.
How To Store Banana Bread //
Store the banana loaf in an airtight container for up to 3 days on the kitchen counter or 5 days in the fridge.
It makes a wonderful make-ahead recipe, too. Cool completely, then wrap the entire loaf in plastic wrap, then foil. Store in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Thaw overnight on the kitchen counter. Slice, toast and enjoy for a sweet breakfast or afternoon treat!
More Banana Recipes //
- The Best Banana Bread Ever
- Banana Cream Cheese Muffins
- White Chocolate Banana Bread
- Banana Peanut Butter Muffins
- Easy Banana Oat Breakfast Cookies
- Banana Cake with Vanilla Bean Frosting
- Frozen Bananas
This recipe for Nutella Swirl Banana Bread was adapted slightly from Chef in Training.
Originally published in January 2019, updated July 2020 with updated images and updated recipe card.
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase using any of these links, I make a small percentage of that sale at no cost you.