Although I live in California, I am from New Jersey. This Jersey girl misses Jersey food. There is a bagel shop across the street from my parent’s house that serves this crumb cake and it is one of the most delicious things that I have ever put in my mouth. When I go to my parent’s house in the summer, I am usually traveling single parent style. I feel bad that my little peeps are so loud in the morning so I usually try to get them out of the house so that everyone else can sleep. Since this bagel shop opens at 6am, we have spent many a summer morning starting our day with some of this amazing crumb cake. I love cake and I love crumb topping so it is a match made in heaven.
I won a seat at a workshop put on by Alejandro Reyes from Sacramento Marketing Labs for being his 15,000th Twitter follower. I won the seat at another event that he was speaking at (can you tell that I like this guy?) and I said that I would bring treats for everyone. I like to bring treats just about every where that I go. This is what I decided to bring. It takes no time at all to put together and it is pure comfort food. A perfect way to start a day long workshop on social media. It was a great day, I learned a ton, and all of my crumb cake was eaten.
This recipe is from Martha Stewart.
2 Tablespoons canola oil
4 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 sticks butter, melted and cooled
It is going to be torture. Your kitchen is going to smell like vanilla, cinnamon, and sugar. But you need to wait a little while before you devour this crumb cake. When the cake has cooled, dust confectioners’ sugar on top.
I cut this into squares and put them into bags to take them to the workshop. I had the edge pieces in the pan and was looking forward to having a bite before I left the house. I came back to the pan to find it empty with a fork in it. And a grown man with confectioners’ sugar all over his face. He couldn’t even blame it on Clay.
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 sticks butter, melted and cooled
- confectioners’ sugar
- Whisk together 1½ cups flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Whisk together the egg, milk, oil and vanilla. Mix together until the batter comes together.
- Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray. Spread the batter evenly and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2½ cups flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon to a bowl.
- Add the butter and mix until it forms large crumbs.
- Sprinkle the crumbs evenly over the batter.
- Bake in a 325 degree oven for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Rotate the pan at least once during baking.
- It is going to be torture. Your kitchen is going to smell like vanilla, cinnamon, and sugar. But you need to wait a little while before you devour this crumb cake. When the cake has cooled, dust confectioners’ sugar on top.