This easy recipe for Basil Mint Dressing is full of sweet and peppery basil, refreshing mint, and tart lemon. This homemade herb dressing is excellent to have on hand to brighten up salads and use as a dip or marinade for your favorite protein.
My friend Andie, who eats a salad every day, motivates me to eat more salads. Maybe not every single day but I have salads for lunch at least five days a week. I’ve found that the key to making this sustainable is rarely having the same exact salad, so I keep my salad topping options well-stocked and I always make my own dressing.
This basil mint dressing is -hands down, my favorite salad dressing right now. It is full of basil, mint, and lemon and a great way to add bright and fresh flavor to just about any salad. It’s also fantastic as a marinade on chicken and seafood or served as a simple dip with crusty bread.
Make this basil mint dressing once and you’ll never reach for a store-bought bottle of basil mint salad dressing or marinade again. Enjoy!
- Fresh Herbs: Mint and Basil – This combination of fresh herbs is cool and refreshing.
- Garlic Clove – adds a fresh garlic flavor.
- Salt & Pepper – Balances and enhances all of the flavors in the dressing.
- Lemon Zest & Juice – helps add vibrant citrus flavor.
- Honey – balances all of the contrasting flavors with just a touch of sweetness.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – makes up the base of the dressing and holds all of the flavors well.
How to Make // The Steps
Step 1: Prep lemon.
Using a sharp knife and a lemon zester, zest, and juice the lemon. Set it aside.
Step 2: Chop herbs and garlic:
Add mint, basil, garlic, and salt, and pepper to a food processor. Pulse to chop the herbs and garlic finely.
Step 3: Add liquid:
Next, add lemon juice and honey and pulse again to combine. Then, slowly pour the olive oil in through the feeder tube while blending until the dressing is smooth and well-combined.
Step 4: Store and serve:
Pour the dressing into a jar or glass container with a well-fitted lid and stir in the lemon zest. Last but not least, make yourself a beautiful salad tossed with the best dressing ever.
Tips & Tricks //
- Give your basil mint dressing a taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- If you like a sweeter dressing, add more honey or agave.
- If you prefer a dressing that is more tart, add more lemon juice or other citrus flavors.
- Before serving each time, vigorously shake the closed dressing container until all of the ingredients are recombined evenly.
- In addition to basil and mint, feel free to add more fresh herbs like fresh parsley and dill for additional fresh herb flavor.
Why is Basil Mint Dressing So Good?
- Making salad dressing from scratch is super quick and easy.
- Homemade salad dressing means no scary ingredients.
- Great way to use up fresh basil and fresh mint
- Doubles as a marinade and sauce for meat, seafood, and vegetables.
How to Serve Basil Mint Dressing //
Make this quick and easy dressing to add a burst of fresh herbs and citrus flavor to just about anything. Replace the listed dressing in the following recipes with basil mint dressing:
- Arugula Caprese Salad
- Steak and Potato Salad
- Roasted Vegetable and Chicken Salad
- Spring Salad with Roasted Chicken
How to Store //
Storing: Keep homemade dressing refrigerated in a glass container with a tight-fitted lid for up to 5 days. Shake the container before using it again.
Make-Ahead and Freezer Options //
Freezing: Freezing olive oil dressings is not recommended as they tend to separate and not freeze completely.