This easy recipe for Basil Mint Dressing is full of sweet and peppery basil, refreshing mint, and tart lemon. This homemade herb dressing is excellent to have on hand to brighten up salads and use as a dip or marinade for your favorite protein.
My friend Andie, who eats a salad every day, motivates me to eat more salads. Maybe not every single day but I have salads for lunch at least five days a week. I’ve found that the key to making this sustainable is rarely having the same exact salad, so I keep my salad topping options well-stocked and I always make my own dressing.
This basil mint dressing is -hands down, my favorite salad dressing right now. It is full of basil, mint, and lemon and a great way to add bright and fresh flavor to just about any salad. It’s also fantastic as a marinade on chicken and seafood or served as a simple dip with crusty bread.
Make this basil mint dressing once and you’ll never reach for a store-bought bottle of basil mint salad dressing or marinade again. Enjoy!
- Fresh Herbs: Mint and Basil – This combination of fresh herbs is cool and refreshing.
- Garlic Clove – adds a fresh garlic flavor.
- Salt & Pepper – Balances and enhances all of the flavors in the dressing.
- Lemon Zest & Juice – helps add vibrant citrus flavor.
- Honey – balances all of the contrasting flavors with just a touch of sweetness.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – makes up the base of the dressing and holds all of the flavors well.
How to Make // The Steps
Step 1: Prep lemon.
Using a sharp knife and a lemon zester, zest, and juice the lemon. Set it aside.
Step 2: Chop herbs and garlic:
Add mint, basil, garlic, and salt, and pepper to a food processor. Pulse to chop the herbs and garlic finely.
Step 3: Add liquid:
Next, add lemon juice and honey and pulse again to combine. Then, slowly pour the olive oil in through the feeder tube while blending until the dressing is smooth and well-combined.
Step 4: Store and serve:
Pour the dressing into a jar or glass container with a well-fitted lid and stir in the lemon zest. Last but not least, make yourself a beautiful salad tossed with the best dressing ever.
Tips & Tricks //
- Give your basil mint dressing a taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- If you like a sweeter dressing, add more honey or agave.
- If you prefer a dressing that is more tart, add more lemon juice or other citrus flavors.
- Before serving each time, vigorously shake the closed dressing container until all of the ingredients are recombined evenly.
- In addition to basil and mint, feel free to add more fresh herbs like fresh parsley and dill for additional fresh herb flavor.
Why is Basil Mint Dressing So Good?
- Making salad dressing from scratch is super quick and easy.
- Homemade salad dressing means no scary ingredients.
- Great way to use up fresh basil and fresh mint
- Doubles as a marinade and sauce for meat, seafood, and vegetables.
How to Serve Basil Mint Dressing //
Make this quick and easy dressing to add a burst of fresh herbs and citrus flavor to just about anything. Replace the listed dressing in the following recipes with basil mint dressing:
- Arugula Caprese Salad
- Steak and Potato Salad
- Roasted Vegetable and Chicken Salad
- Spring Salad with Roasted Chicken
How to Store //
Storing: Keep homemade dressing refrigerated in a glass container with a tight-fitted lid for up to 5 days. Shake the container before using it again.
Make-Ahead and Freezer Options //
Freezing: Freezing olive oil dressings is not recommended as they tend to separate and not freeze completely.
Sunday 11th of August 2019
I’m going to make this now ????
Monday 12th of August 2019
It's one of my absolute favorite dressings. So fresh tasting, I love it!
71 Food Bloggers Choose Their All-time Favourite Recipes - The LuxPad - The Latest Luxury Home Fashion News - Amara
Monday 8th of April 2019
[…] Basil Mint Dressing by Baked Bree (pictured) […]
Wednesday 18th of January 2017
I love the dressing!! **Edit your post, you have the same paragraph twice. **
Tuesday 24th of January 2017
Thank you for letting me know!!!
Saturday 26th of November 2016
Thanks for sharing this amazing recipe. I just tried it today and we are so happy with the results. The combination of both mint and basil is just exquisite. Big thanks!
Sunday 27th of November 2016
This is one of my favorite dressings ever. I love it and make it all summer long.
Wednesday 27th of April 2016
I LOVE salads and could never get tired of eating them every day...but my problem is that I'm too lazy. All the chopping and peeling...ugh. I wish someone would come and do that part for me! But this dressing...looks so fresh and fabulous! I might need to get off my rear and start chopping!!
Sunday 1st of May 2016
I doesn't bother me like I thought that it would. And you feel angelic after you make yourself a salad and actually eat it. :)