I have searched high and low for the perfect sugar cookie recipe. It took years to find. I had to kiss a lot of frogs to find this recipe. I love it for a few reasons. 1) It makes a ton of cookies. 2) It rolls out like a dream. 3) They taste really good. I have used this recipe for so many different occasions. The photo above is from Christmas, but I have used it for Halloween, Valentine’s Day and just because it is a Wednesday. This recipe can easily be halved. I usually make the whole thing and freeze half.
Lick it again for good measure.
Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for at least 3-4 hours or overnight.
Bake the cookies in a 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes. Do not brown the edges.
- 2 cups softened unsalted butter
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon butter extract (optional)
- 7 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cream together the butter and sugar until it is really light and fluffy. Add the eggs and the vanilla and butter extracts. Add the dry ingredients and mix until well.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for at least 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Roll the dough out and cut using your favorite cookie cutter.
- Bake the cookies in a 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes. Do not brown the edges.