Jack’s Urban Fries is a signature style of loaded fries served at Jack’s Urban Eats, a Sacramento area comfort food favorite. This copycat recipe takes waffles fries and tops them with a creamy blend of blue cheese and ranch, hot chili oil, red pepper flakes, and fresh parsley. It may sound strange, but these fries are seriously addicting!
When I was pregnant with my youngest son, I was sick day in and day out until the day I delivered. I was not a happy girl, to say the least. Admittedly counter-intuitive, the only thing that made me better was hot and spicy food. That said, I indulged in a generous helping of Jack’s Urban Fries probably once a week.
So what do they put on Jack’s Urban fries? The famous french fries are topped with blue cheese dressing, hot chili oil, red pepper flakes, and chopped parsley. These fries make me happy, so I just had to share the love. Enjoy the ooey-gooey goodness of urban-style fries outside of Sacramento!
Jack’s Urban Fries Ingredients //
- Bag of Frozen Waffle Fries – I prefer the waffle fry to the matchstick. It’s a better vessel to hold the weight of the creamy goodness on top.
- Homemade Ranch Dressing – or store-bought but the made-from-scratch ranch is a game-changer.
- Blue Cheese Crumbles – The blend of ranch and blue cheese takes these to a whole new level.
- Hot Chili Oil & Red Pepper Flakes – add some kick. They’re just spicy enough.
- Fresh Flat Leaf Parsley – is my favorite part. I love the freshness it adds.
How to Make // The Steps
Step 1: Blend dressing. In a medium-sized bowl, add the blue cheese crumbles to the ranch dressing. Mix until fully combined.
Step 2: Cook waffle fries. Bake or air fry frozen waffle fries according to package directions.
Step 3: Assemble. Add cooked waffle fries to a serving dish. Spoon blue cheese dressing on top of fries and then top with hot chili oil, red pepper flakes, and fresh parsley. Forks optional! ?
Tips & Tricks
- Hot chili sesame oil was the only kind of hot chili oil that I could find. Next time, I would try to find one without sesame oil as the base. It tasted good, but a more neutral oil would probably be better.
- To get your frozen waffle fries crispy in the oven, spray thoroughly with cooking spray before baking -and if you have an air fryer, you should absolutely cook them in there for maximum crispiness.
- For added flavor, sprinkle freshly baked fries with fry seasoning or salt and pepper before assembling.
Why is Jack’s Urban Fries So Good?
- I expected it to just be okay, but these fries are even better than the real ones, if-I-do-say-so-myself.
- Only 5 ingredients and it’s super simple!
- It’s easy to make more or less depending on how hungry you are (or if you plan on sharing).
- What’s not to love about restaurant-quality crave-worthy food made at home?
Variations of Jack’s Urban Fries //
Once the fries are cooked and crispy, feel free to load them however you like. Here are some great ideas:
- Swap buffalo sauce for the hot chili oil/red pepper flakes because blue cheese fries and buffalo sauce are delicious.
- Take inspiration from a baked potato and top with melted cheddar cheese, bacon, chives, and sour cream.
- Top with garlic aioli, herbs, and freshly grated parmesan (this is similar to BurgerFi’s version of urban fries).
How to Store and Reheat //
If you have any leftovers (you won’t but just in case), store them in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 to 3 days. Keep in mind that loaded fries do not reheat well. Do not freeze.
Ore-Ida, McCain, and Alexia are crispy and delicious
I like using waffle fries because there’s more surface area for more toppings , but you can absolutely use a different shape -curly, tots, wedges, etc.
Nope! Cooking from frozen makes the best textured crispy fry.
More Copycat Recipes
Jack’s Urban Fries
- 1 bag frozen waffle fries
- 1/2 – 1 cup homemade ranch dressing plus 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
- hot chili oil
- red pepper flakes
- chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- Add the blue cheese crumbles to the ranch dressing and mix well.
- Bake your waffle fries according to the package directions.
- Assembling is nothing more than putting a generous amount of blue cheese dressing on top of the fries. Add hot chili oil, red pepper flakes, and parsley.