The soothing aroma of the Boursin cheese combined with cherry tomatoes for this baked Boursin pasta recipe will surprise your taste buds!
The TikTok Baked Pasta Frenzy //
If you are a faithful reader of my blog, you already know my world-famous Boursin cheese pasta.
I am so excited to introduce you to this baked Boursin pasta variation. You may have already seen it on TikTok, it sent viewers into a frenzy a few years back (so much that the sale of feta cheese in Finland increased by 300% after a Finnish food blogger posted the original TikTok feta pasta video!).
The recipe combines pasta with cheese and other ingredients such as tomatoes, olive oil, onions, and herbs. The sauce is incredibly simple to make, you just need to bake all the ingredients in the oven. Instead of the feta used in the original recipe, I decided to use Boursin, You need to try this variation as it is truly amazing and so easy to make!
What is Boursin cheese?
Boursin cheese is a dairy product created by Francois Boursin in Normandy. Made of Gournay cheese, a traditional French cheese, it has a creamy texture and exists in several flavors. For this recipe, it is best to use the garlic and fine herbs variety. What I love about it is the beautifully balanced garlic flavor that provides a soothing aftertaste. If you like Boursin, you should try my chicken with Boursin mushroom sauce recipe.
- 2 packages of Boursin cheese – preferably garlic and herb
- 2-3 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 medium red onions – roughly chopped
- 8 garlic cloves (minced)
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- 16-20 ounces dry pasta
- 5 fresh basil leaves – torn (optional)
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Place the Boursin cheese in the middle of a 9 x 13 baking dish and place the tomatoes, onion, garlic cloves all around it.
Drizzle the olive oil over the pan and season with the seasoning of your choice.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
While the cheese is baking, boil the pasta according to package instructions, but reserve ½ cup of water for the sauce. When ready, drain the pasta.
When the cheese mix is ready, mix it around while adding the reserved water a little at a time. Stop before the sauce becomes too liquid.
Pour the pasta into the mix.
Sprinkle the fresh basil and additional salt and pepper if needed.
Boursin Cheese vs Feta Cheese //
The texture of the Boursin cream cheese is a bit different and I find it a lot more appropriate for pasta than feta when it’s cooked as feta is a quite salty cheese. So if you want to make pasta with feta cheese and cherry tomatoes, swapping feta for Boursin will provide a more balanced taste.
You can also use a flavored goat cheese as a variation for Boursin cheese.
Tips & Tricks //
- Boursin tomato pasta can easily be turned into a vegan dish by using the dairy-free version of the Boursin that comes with the same ingredients.
- Use both shallots and onions to enhance the onion aroma without adding extra pungency.
- Even though this feta Boursin pasta is made with garlic-seasoned cheese, do not eliminate the garlic cloves from the recipe, as it will change the flavor.
- Oven roasting is key to the recipe, the tomatoes will not have that roasted touch that offers that rich aroma to the dish if you pan fry them.
- Adding the pasta cooking water to the sauce is a fantastic trick. You can do that with most pasta sauces, the salty and starchy water will ensure the sauce sticks to the pasta and enhance all the flavors.
Saturday 21st of January 2023
You say one onion and then two small red onions. Do you mean shallot instead of the one onion?
Monday 23rd of January 2023
Hi Ruth, good catch! I have corrected the recipe, I actually only used the red onions in this recipe. Hope you enjoy it!
Monday 5th of September 2022
Hi! Thank you for this recipe! Do you happen to have nutrition info on this dish?
Sunday 18th of September 2022
Hi KC, I have added the nutrition info on the recipe card. Cheers