Using just one square of high-quality chocolate and frothed milk, this steamed hot chocolate is as luxurious as it is simple!
When we moved back from Germany, I brought plenty of recipes with me, including this one. German-style steamed hot chocolate, which we first had at the Ritter Sport Chocolate Factory, is going to be a winter favorite for years to come.
We were lucky enough to live near the Ritter factory and would often go there to stock up on chocolate and maybe have a bite to eat. I always love to get a behind the scenes look at where my food comes from.
My kids immediately fell in love with this steamed hot chocolate, and the whole process at the cafe. A square of chocolate goes in the bottom of the mug, and warm milk is poured over top, almost like a hot chocolate cappuccino. Even when stirred, this stays foamy. I am really excited to share this with you!
Steamed Hot Chocolate Ingredients//
Chocolate: Luckily, I can still get our beloved Ritter chocolate here in the states, but there are so many other options! The key is to have a high-quality piece of chocolate, which will be far richer and smoother. Of course, if you have a great local chocolatier that is a great choice.
Milk: Any and all milks work here, including full fat and 1%. If you are looking for an alternative, coconut and oat milk are the creamiest when warm.
Frother: I bought this milk frother a few years ago and I have most certainly gotten my money’s worth. (Here is a less expensive option that gets great reviews.) If you don’t have, or want, one of these you can warm the milk on the stove. Then, you can froth with a fork or whisk! Though, you do have to work fast to make sure it doesn’t cool too much!
How to Make // The Steps
- Once you have picked out your chocolate, pick out your most exciting mug and plop your chocolate right in!
- Next, use your steamer to froth your milk, and keep a spoon nearby for the foam!
- Pour the hot milk over the chocolate, and spoon some of the frothy goodness on top.
- Let it sit for a minute or two and stir.
- Add any toppings you may want and get ready to enjoy.
What makes this steamed hot chocolate recipe so good? //
- Simple: With this only taking a few minutes, using only two ingredients, it can be made any time.
- Kid-friendly: After learning how to use the frother, or a whisk, this is a really simple thing for kids to make on their own. Of course, if they can start making them for you as well, it’s even better!
- Lower sugar: Since this is using a small amount of high-quality chocolate, there is no need for added sugars. Compared to store-bought hot chocolate mix, this is a much healthier option.
- Great for gatherings: A simple alternative to an after-dinner coffee, this steamed hot chocolate is great for family dinners or holiday parties.
- Lots of mix-ins and variations! A make-your-own steamed hot chocolate station will be a hit with visitors and family alike. I have some suggestions for what to stock below!
Serving and Reheating Ideas //
- At the Ritter Sport Chocolate Factory, they serve hot chocolate is with a warm, salted pretzel. The salty/sweet combination is incredible with this simple drink, so if you can pair this with a salty treat, you’ll be in heaven!
- If you have leftovers (a rare occurrence, I am sure) you can cover the mug and store this for up to a day in the refrigerator. However, it should be mentioned that the texture of this will change after being chilled. It will still be delicious, though!
- You can reheat in 30 second increments in the microwave, to avoid bringing it to a boil.
Variations and Mix-Ins //
- Crushed peppermint is awesome added to the mug along with the chocolate square.
- Drizzle some caramel sauce in the mug before adding the milk.
- Whipped cream (as well as flavored whipped cream) is not used in Germany, but we love to add it to ours!
- Sprinkles and chocolate flakes added to the top will melt down into the steamed hot chocolate as you drink it.
- Make some snowman marshmallow hot chocolate toppers for some extra fun!
More Chocolate Recipes //
- Peppermint Brownie Bars
- The Most Amazing Chocolate Fudge
- White Chocolate Ginger Drops
- Hot Chocolate Cookies
Originally published in February 2018, updated November 2020 with updated images and updated recipe card.