We are about 95% moved in and settled and I cannot wait to get back into the kitchen (don’t worry, I made sure that I would have lots of things saved to share with you this summer). We are in love with the Cape and have done lots of exploring along with unpacking, unpacking, and more unpacking.
My 2nd favorite holiday is this week! I love 4th of July. We are having a low key one this year, but before we left DC, I made some of my favorite BBQ things. Texas Tommy Dogs and cheeseburger sliders.
Growing up, we used to get Texas Tommy’s at the diner. It is a hot dog wrapped with bacon and some cheddar cheese melted over it. It is not the healthiest, but it’s a once a year indulgence. I believe that I have improved on the one from my youth. Instead of wrapping the dog in bacon, (I think that it doesn’t get crispy enough) I cooked the bacon before so that it stays really crispy. I also wrap the dog in cheese instead of laying it over the top, it melts perfectly. I wrap it in a foil pouch and stick it back on the grill for a minute or two and the bun is perfectly toasted, the cheese melted and the bacon hot.
I have come to prefer a slider over a full sized burger these days. Clay’s favorite food is a cheeseburger slider and 9 times out of 10, that is what he orders at a restaurant. We have eaten a lot of sliders. I like the crust that the burger gets. I also love that you can change it up. You don’t have to commit to one kind of burger, you have have one or two and make them different. Use a couple of different kinds of cheese, caramelized onions, bacon, ketchup, no-ketchup, whatever you like. They are also the perfect size for kids. Now you can find slider buns everywhere.
I’ll be back to share the corn salad recipe in the pictures. So. Good.
1 pound ground sirloin
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 Tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons steak seasoning
1 package Sargento® Natural Blends® Deli Sliced Sharp Cheddar Jack Cheese Slices
12 Slider buns
Lettuce and tomato
Mix ingredients in a bowl and form into 12 balls.
Flatten into patties. I like to press the middles in, it makes the burgers cook flat. Grill over medium-high heat, about 4 minutes per side.
During the last two minutes, top with cheese and transfer to a bun. Serve with lettuce and tomato.
Texas Tommy Dogs
1 package beef hot dogs
1 package Sargento® Ultra Thin Sharp Cheddar slices
6 slices bacon
Hot dog buns
Cut the bacon into 1/2 inch pieces. Cook in a pan until crisp and golden brown. Set aside.
Grill hot dogs over medium high heat. Remove from the grill.
Tear off a piece of tin foil. Add the bun to the foil, slice a piece of cheese in half. Place half in the bottom of the bun. Add the hot dog and some bacon bits.
Top with the other half of cheese. I like to tuck the cheese tightly around the dog. It keeps the bacon bits secure in the bun.
Loosely close the foil around the hot dog.
Put back on the grill for 2 minutes. Or until the cheese melts. Unwrap and serve.
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons steak seasoning
- Sargento Natural Blends Sharp Cheddar Jack
- Slider buns
- Lettuce and tomato
- 1 package beef hot dogs
- 1 package Sargento Ultra Thin Sharp Cheddar slices
- 6 slices bacon
- Hot dog buns
- To make the cheeseburger sliders: Mix ingredients in a bowl and form into 12 balls. Flatten into patties. Grill over medium-high heat, about 4 minutes per side.
- During the last two minutes, top with cheese and transfer to a bun. Serve with lettuce and tomato.
- To make the Texas Tommy Dogs:Cut the bacon into ½ inch pieces. Cook in a pan until crisp and golden brown. Set aside.
- Grill hot dogs over medium high heat. Remove from the grill.
- Tear off a piece of tin foil. Add the bun to the foil, slice a piece of cheese in half. Place half in the bottom of the bun. Add the hot dog and some bacon bits. Top with the other half of cheese. Loosely close the foil around the hot dog. Put back on the grill for 2 minutes. Or until the cheese melts. Unwrap and serve.
**This post is sponsored by Sargento Cheese. Sargento slices are 100% real, natural cheese and are offered in over 30 delicious varieties like Sharp Cheddar and Swiss.It is a part of my ongoing relationship with them. All opinions are 100% my own.**