These Chicken Satay Bowls with Peanut Dressing are made with pan-cooked chicken marinated in Indonesian-inspired flavors, homemade spicy peanut sauce, rice, and a blend of crunchy raw veggies. Perfect for weeknight dinners and meal prep.
Southeast Asian street foods are a spectacle of incredible regional dishes made with fresh, flavor-forward ingredients. Chicken satay is one of the most popular dishes and for good reason. It’s one of the most palate-pleasing dishes I’ve ever had! So naturally, I had to share the recipe that cures my chicken satay cravings (when a trip to Indonesia isn’t an option) -so here it is!
For this recipe, cubed chicken breast gets marinated in coconut milk and vibrant flavors like lemongrass, curry powder, turmeric, and soy sauce and then sauteed. The chicken is then piled high above a bed of fluffy jasmine rice (or noodles) with plenty of veggies and finished with the best peanut sauce. Don’t let the list of ingredients scare you -these chicken satay bowls are super simple and come together quickly!
To make satay chicken bowls with peanut dressing, you will need:
- Chicken Breast (cut into 2″ cubes): the moisture from the coconut milk marinade makes succulent, juicy chicken. You can also use skinless chicken thighs.
- Cooking Oil: to coat the pan.
For the Marinade:
- Coconut Milk: helps tenderize the meat.
- Garlic Cloves (peeled): add bold umami-friendly flavor.
- Ginger (peeled) & Lemongrass Stalks: are essential ingredients in Indonesian recipes.
- Dry Spices: A blend of curry powder, turmeric powder, and coriander powder deepens the flavor of the marinade while making the marinade a beautiful bright yellow color.
- Brown Sugar: balances the flavors and helps the chicken develop lightly crisped edges with juicy centers.
For the Peanut Dressing: brown sugar, garlic clove, peeled ginger, coconut milk, sesame oil, brown sugar, soy sauce, lime juice, and sriracha.
To build your satay bowl:
- Jasmine Rice or Rice Noodles: cooked according to the package directions.
- Fresh Veggies: shredded red cabbage, shredded carrot, sliced red pepper and sliced cucumber.
- Tasty Toppings: cilantro leaves, chopped peanuts and lime wedges.
How to Make // The Steps
Step 1: Make chicken marinade:
In a blender, add coconut milk, garlic cloves, ginger, lemongrass, dry spices, and brown sugar and blend until smooth.
Step 2: Marinate chicken:
Place the cubed chicken in a Ziploc bag and then pour in the marinade. Seal the bag and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes but no longer than overnight.
Step 3: Cook chicken:
In a large skillet or wok, heat cooking oil over medium heat. In batches, add marinated chicken in a single layer. Pan-fry the chicken for 7 to 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Transfer to a clean plate. Keep the cooked chicken covered as you work through the remaining.
Step 4: Make peanut dressing:
Add all peanut sauce ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
Step 5: Plate and serve:
Once the chicken and peanut dressing are done, the last step is to simply build your bowl with a serving of rice or noodles, a spread of fresh sliced veggies, hot cooked chicken, and a side of peanut dressing. Enjoy!
Tips & Tricks //
- The marinade and peanut sauce can also be mixed with an immersion blender or vigorously by hand with a whisk.
- While the chicken breast is marinating, gently give the bag a little shake every now and then to make sure all surfaces of the chicken are absorbing the flavors.
- Don’t move the chicken around too much while it’s cooking. Allow the sides of each cube of chicken to firm up and lightly brown before flipping.
- You will most likely need to work in a couple of batches. While the chicken is cooking it is a great time to prepare your rice or noodles according to the package directions.
Why is Chicken Satay Bowls with Peanut Dressing So Good?
- These bowls are inspired by the flavors and textures of Indonesian chicken satay recipes, so needless to say, this recipe is delicious.
- The peanut sauce is on the side, so these bowls are great for meal prep.
- It is a great healthy mid-week meal the whole family will love.
- Quick and easy. The chicken is simply cooked in a pan instead of skewered and grilled.
- Vegetarian Satay Bowls: Swap the chicken breast for an extra firm and pressed tofu.
- Shrimp Satay Bowls: Replace chicken with large, shrimp.Satay Bowls with Grilled Chicken: Skewer the chicken before marinating and then grill 3 to 4 minutes per side or until cooked through.
More Ways to Use Peanut Sauce
The peanut sauce is so good, you’ll want to put it on everything. Make an extra batch of the peanut sauce to serve with:
How to Store //
Storing: The assembled bowls will last for 3 to 4 days in the fridge. To keep the veggies fresh longer, store them in a separate container. Store the peanut dressing separately as well.
Make-Ahead and Freezer Options //
Freezing: You can freeze the cooked chicken for up to 2 months. Simply thaw it out in the fridge and reheat on the stove.
To cut the carb count on these bowls, serve the chicken and veggies over riced cauliflower or a bed of fresh greens.
Satay sauce is vibrant, tangy, and mildly spicy. You can add red pepper flakes if you want some more heat.