I have to be honest with you about something – I really have not made anything super exciting this summer. I do cook most days, but in the summer we eat grilled chicken and salad more nights than not. Even once in awhile, I throw a steak or some shrimp into the mix. I can eat that for dinner every single night of the year and be really happy. We have been so busy with activities and traveling that I have not been really motivated to make much else. I love being able to go out to my garden and pick what looks good and make a meal out of it. Simple and fresh is what summer is all about.
The one thing that I have made the most this summer (other than salad) is this blueberry crisp. I cannot even begin to tell you how much I love it. I have been hearing about the Bread & Wine Blueberry Crisp for awhile and finally got around to making it. I now understand why I kept seeing Instagram pictures and tweets about it. This blueberry crisp is so incredibly simple to make, you put some blueberries in a pan, and mix together a few ingredients and put it in the oven. This crisp is not overly sweet, and healthy enough for breakfast. Did I mention that it is also gluten-free and made with a natural sugar? Just about the most perfect dessert ever. I like it on its own, but feel free to add some whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, or yogurt. You can also use any kind of fruit that you like. Cherries and peaches are also in season. But I have to say, I am partial to Jersey blueberries.
1 cup gluten free old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup chopped raw pecans
1/2 cup almond meal
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
Whipped cream, vanilla yogurt, or vanilla ice cream (why not?)
- 4 cups blueberries (any fruit will work)
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup chopped raw pecans
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream (why not?)
- Add blueberries to an 8×8 pan or a medium size casserole dish.
- Add oats, pecans, almond meal, olive oil, maple syrup, and salt to a bowl. Toss to combine. Distribute crisp evenly over blueberries.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes, longer if the berries are frozen. Top with vanilla yogurt, whipped cream, or ice cream.