This easy vegetarian tamale casserole recipe is my take on the Trashy Tamales fromThe Lazy Genius. Adaptable and very kid-friendly.
This recipe comes from the ever-delightful Kendra Adachi aka The Lazy Genius. I discovered Kendra a few years ago, and really love her motto, “Be a genius about the things that matter, and lazy about the things that don’t.” These words describe me to a tee. I’m a big fan of hers (and her mom) and she has some no-fail recipes that you should add to your repertoire.
She calls her tamale casserole recipe Trashy Tamales. Kendra says that they are as ugly as they are delicious and I’ll vouch for that. Not the prettiest dinner, but I make it all the time and it’s one of my favorite weeknight dinners.
These days, I make a vegetarian tamale casserole, but this is ever adaptable. Add a few cups of cooked chicken, ground beef, pork, whatever you have around. Have some veggies that have seen better days in your fridge? Saute them up and add them in. Covered in cheese and enchilada sauce, your kids won’t know the difference.
This vegetarian tamale casserole is a great “what are we having for dinner “recipe” to have in your back pocket”. I always have everything in my pantry.
Tips for making Vegetarian Tamale Casserole //
- Whatever you want to add to this should already taste good before you add it to the pan. So make sure that is well seasoned before you add it.
- You can use ground beef, chicken, shredded pork, whatever protein you like. You really can’t go wrong.
- The recipe calls for Jiffy mix, but I really love the Trader Joe’s cornbread mix.
- I like to put mine on a bed of shredded lettuce and top with sour cream, green onions, and a squirt of lime juice.
- Also goes perfectly with an icy cold beer.